Author Topic: Problems lifting BC23 rudder!  (Read 1988 times)

PYoung

Problems lifting BC23 rudder!
« on: 26 Apr 2022, 10:26 »
I was wondering if I could pick your brains please. I am currently having real difficulty lifting the rudder of my 2011 BC23. It has always been very hard to raise. The previous owner said it had always been hard to left, but the problem seems to have gotten progressively worse.

Now it seems impossible to raise even pulling like a madman, so I assume the lines are not correctly setup or are jammed somewhere.

Bearing in mind that I have the early BC23 rudder model, does anyone have any experience in this area?

Many thanks.

Jeremy Apted

Re: Problems lifting BC23 rudder!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2022, 05:52 »
I have attached a photo of the ropes within the rudder together with a diagram provided by Swallow Yachts.
Please let me know if you need anything further.

Regards,
Whistling Kite BC23

Jeremy Apted

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2022, 05:54 »
Diagram follows

Nick Orchard

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2022, 14:07 »
As I'm not familiar with the specifics of the BC23 rudder I hesitate to offer advice, but here goes anyway! Have you checked that the problem is not with the fit of the rudder in the stock rather than the lifting/lowering mechanism? It doesn't take much in the way of muck, foreign objects or swollen wood to make a rudder or centreboard really stiff to move. I had a very small piece of plastic that found its way into my BC26 keel case and jammed the keel in the down position. It took the full power of the electric keel winch with the addition of the spinnaker halyard run to a Pontos winch to get the keel up, very slowly. I spotted the errant piece of plastic once it was up, removed it and everything was back to normal. If there's any way that you can remove the rudder blade from the stock then I'd try that first and give it and the stock cheeks a good clean. As I said, not being familiar with how well SY have buried the system in the back of the boat it may be easier said than done.

Nick
Nick Orchard
BC26 008 Luminos II - Torquay

Jeremy Apted

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2022, 03:01 »
Pete,
The photo is looking down through the tiller arm.
I hope this helps.

Regards,
Jeremy
Whistling Kite BC23

MarkDarley

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2022, 22:36 »
If it’s any comfort, I also find it very hard to raise……..To get above horizontal (on some swift flowing anchorages) I lasso it with a stern line. I think it is just a case of lack of mechanical advantage.
I have also added some additional low friction sheeting as mine was vibrating like mad in the stock at speed. Solved the vibration but not much change in the lifting.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

mainecoast

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2022, 22:52 »
Jeremy,

Have you pulled the rudder?  On Corvus between the rudder, itself, and the stainless steel mounting bracket there is a thin piece of poly material to act as a sort of bearing.  From what you are describing I'm wondering if it is binding up somehow and thus curious if there is the poly on either side.

Good luck!

Pete

Corvus, BC23 hull 37

Jeremy Apted

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2022, 22:07 »
I bought two sheets of Teflon ( 2mm thick, 240mm*240mm) and used the old Teflon washers as a template to make two new ones. A previous post on this forum was very useful. There is still a bit of sway between the rudder cheeks even with the new washers resulting in a bit of thumping noise.

Merry Christmas and happy sailing.

Jeremy
Whistling Kite BC23