Author Topic: Trailing a BRE 20  (Read 2337 times)

Simon Bright

Trailing a BRE 20
« on: 07 May 2022, 18:00 »
Dear Forum,

I will be trailing Svala a Trailing a BRE 20 for the first time next Thursday. I have a newly braked snipe trailer modified by Wessex trailers . I see from the forum trailing advice that we should carry the outboard in the car not on the Swallow. However this will mean that nose weight will increase as I take the 6 hp Yamaha weight out of the outboard well at the back of the BRE 20.

My question is must I absolutely not travel travel with the outboard in the outboard well ?

The recommended nose weight of 30 kg seems a bit low to me. Just from guessing by lifting by hand I imagine my nose weight is more like 50-70 kg. How key is this nose weight in the range 30 - 70 kg ? If I take the Yamaha out of the outboard well, I can imagine the nose weight will increase which means some serious feckling with the trailer length/boat position on the trailer.

I other words I would prefer to leave the trailer in the outboard well and keep the nose weight as it.

Your experience will be much appreciated.

best regards,

Simon Bright 

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Trailing a BRE 20
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2022, 18:32 »
Simon,

A difficult problem!

It depends a bit on what vehicle is doing the towing - each one usually has a recommended trailer maximum nose weight. An elderly VW Golf is only 50kg but a more modern Golf is 75kg and a VW Touareg is 140kg.  It also depends on how far you will be travelling.  If you think of the structural stresses that having a 25kg outboard bouncing around on the back places on the BRe's transom, especially on potholed UK roads, it's best avoided if at all possible.  If the nose weight is already 50-75kg and you remove the outboard, unless you're driving something mighty, you may be over the recommended maximum.

The optimum solution is to find a trailer centre (Wessex Trailers?) that can do a quick job of moving the wheels, brake cable etc further forward so that the nose weight comes within acceptable limits without the outboard engine on the back.   Failing that and as a short term and short distance solution, no outboard on the transom but full water carriers tied down at the back?

The Caravan Club recommend a nose weight of 5-7% of the trailer’s laden weight.   So if your braked trailer loaded up with your BRe and gear is, say, 850kg, that suggests a nose weight of 42-60kg.  Unbraked trailers are easy to adjust for nose weight but braked ones are a bit more complicated.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2022, 15:03 »
Afraid I can't agree with you on this GW. I think motor on will be fine, at least from a boat point of view. This opinion is NOT based on towing my BRe long distance! Many other boats tho, some with motors WAY bigger than mine.
However, as you say it does Ultimately depend on the tow car, and the now-braked trailer.

BRe are all GRP I beleive, so that's "better" than Eply in this instance... probably?

I think at the very least, do not depend on the motor tilt latch. Lower the motor so skeg is supported on a piece of timber, across the prop well opening. Then lash it. Load then spread, and the "bounce" on the motor hinge eliminated.
Chandlers will try to flog you a gizmo prop thing made especially for this purpose!

Don't forget to do a smilar backup support with the centreboard....and the rudder!

Have checked my BRe owners manual and it does not mention motor on or motor off transom for towing.
Ultimately, therefore perhaps best to check with the yard?
Keep us posted please.

I really don't want to have to take my motor off to tow...or more importantly, have to lift it back on!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Simon Bright

« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2022, 16:44 »
Simon and Graham,

Thanks for this exchange. I will try Simon's approach because otherwise I will have the impossibility of moving my axel with boat on trailer before I leave Thursday.

But tomorrow I will call Swallow yard and double check.

I will let you know how the trail goes. Thornbury to the Kyles of Bute. Long way.

cheers,

Simon

RichardandJeni

« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2022, 12:14 »
Simon,
Just to let you know, we trailed our BRe back from the Swallow yard to Southend end of last year (300miles)
CLH Trailer (braked) Ford Focus Estate(66plate/diesel)
We left the 6hp engine in the boat in its "up" position, no problems at all, trailed very nicely.
On the yards suggestion we lowered the centreboard to rest on the trailer and we got them to add an extra rope around the rudder..
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Richard..

Simon Bright

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2022, 11:59 »

Thanks to the Swallow Forum for the advice !

And here is what Swallow say about trailing with motor onboard.

Hello Simon

I spoke to Matt and he said there is no reason why you cannot trailer your Expedition with the engine in the up position - make sure it's locked so that it doesn't slip down whilst you're on the move

Kind regards

Lara Morgan

Llafurio

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2022, 14:06 »
They forgot to mention that it is advisable to support / secure the outboarder leg / foot to avoid swinging and kicking of same and thus putting undue strain on the tilting mechanism and the outboarder bracket when trailering on bad / bumpy roads with the engine in the up position. C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

TimLM

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2022, 09:48 »
I have been trailing my Bre to Bute and back several times lately 846 miles return and I tie the leg to the mizzen gate relieving the strain but I did put a ss capping on my transom. I'm not sure that added to the strength but the transom is well over engineered I feel.
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

Mark Rushton

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2022, 17:12 »
We've always towed our outboard in the fully down position without an issue. With our original outboard on our BRe we found it leaked a bit of oil in the raised handle down position, but stayed clean when down.

Mark