Author Topic: Asymmetric/Spinnaker chute and spars/sail cover  (Read 13493 times)

Paul Moran

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member who collected a bayraider last August and so far has had only a few months of use. Suffice to say we (extended family included) are all delighted with it. We've been out in varied condition from 4 to 20 knots of wind and are impressed with its stability (no water ballast used).

I've used the asymmetric in stiff conditions and it is great fun. The bend in the bowsprit was like a banana but it held. The arms however were nearly pulled off me. I'm fitting a swivel and cam on the centreplate housing that will allow me to lock it off and get the blood back into my hands. It is to be thoroughly recommended. There is great sail area in it at 13 sq m and the boat easily handles it. Recovering the sail however can be exciting and I've just ordered a cloth chute from Jeckells, to assist in this. Approx 2.5m in length and 300mm diammeter eyelets at the head and rigid band sewn into the mouth of it to allow easy recover and launch.
I'll post photos once I get it. Cost will be £85 plus vat - its a bit steep but hopefully will be worth it in the long run.

The second item I have ordered is a spars/sail cover. I have rolled the sail and stored it with the spars, hanging from hooks on the garage wall. both the mizen and mainsail/Gaff will fit into this new cover which will be useful for both storage and transportation. Its 4.5m in length and again 300mm dia. Cost approx £92 plus vat. Jeckells will use a fairly durable acrylic material which will assist in keeping dampness away.  To me in a wet country in winter this is a must unless I bring them inside the house!

Again, I'll post some photos when I get them.
All the best

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Asymmetric/Spinnaker chute and spars/sail cover
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2011, 11:42 »
Paul,

Would you recommend your spinnaker chute after having used it for a bit?

Graham
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:47 »
Graham

My Bayraider is currently with Matt and when it get it back it will be with a spinnaker, i did ask Matt about "locking off" the spinnaker sheet and he didn't recommend it. Have you used the spinnaker single handed yet, others say it can be done in light conditions. You mention using the centreboard top for securing the cam are you happy the fixings will take the load of the spinnaker pull, previous articles talk about the screws sometimes needing half a turn after several trailer trips (vibration) and they only screw into GRP.

Thanks for letting me know about the "snuffer" you found and i look forward to seeing it and hearing about how you get on with it as it's something i have considered for my boat.

Thanks again for info
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #3 on: 02 Mar 2011, 22:29 »
Peter, Graham,

I'm building my BR17 with spinnaker gear so I'm really interested to see how the assymetric is rigged, launched and recovered on a BR.

I guess the problem with cleating off the spinnaker sheet is the inability to release it *really* quickly in a gust. You can get blocks with ratchets and serrated pulleys, like this http://www.tridentuk.com/sailing/product-Auto_Ratchet_Block_40mm-AL_A2240.html, (no affiliation, I just Googled) which ease the strain when holding a mainsheet. I don't know if anything similar exists that would be small enough for a BR spinnaker sheet.

What and where are the normal spinnaker sheeting arrangements on a BR?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2011, 07:55 »
Peter, Anthony,

I have only been out in my new Bayraider once so far and have not used the spinnaker at all yet - just planning ahead.  The auto ratchet block sounds like a good idea and as far as I can see, the smaller ones are used in dingy racing (specified maximum sheet size for the Ronstan version 9mm) so they should also be suitable for the Bayraider.

Graham
Graham

Andrew Denman

« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2011, 21:23 »
Hi all,

We use ratchet blocks for the spinnaker sheets and have them on a spectra webbing loop that we loop through the rowlock blocks.  6 mm double braid rope is fine for the sheet.  There is a small amount of video footage of the kite up on our capsize video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYrFXsHzvcg

Scroll ahead to 7.25 minutes and you can see the setup.

I would definitely never lock off or cleat spinnaker sheets nor have any knots in the end of the sheets.  If you get into trouble with the kite you want to be able to spill the wind as quickly as possible.

regards,

Andrew

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 06 Mar 2011, 20:15 »
Just come back from a day's sailing on Lake Bala.  As there was virtually no wind, I even managed to get the spinnaker up for the first time.  I can confirm that even when the wind is light, it is hard on the hands and arms holding the spinnaker sheets for any length of time.  So I will be investing in a couple of Ronstan auto ratchet blocks, as per Andrew's picture above.
Graham