Author Topic: BRe Mast Support Rot  (Read 1709 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
BRe Mast Support Rot
« on: 03 Jun 2022, 08:38 »
Someone posted on the Facebook group about rot in the wooden mast support in their 7 year old BRe. I thought it worth sharing here. Photo is the screenshot of their post and here's a link to it. They removed all rotten wood and "filled and faired with marine weld" - see second photo.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/swallowyachtsassociation/permalink/698681501347964/
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Anyone can uk

Re: BRe Mast Support Rot
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2022, 09:14 »
That was me.

I think there may have been a construction cock up or the previous owners did something strange. When she arrived to us - we bought her in a lock down - the mast tabernacle was secured with rusty ferrous screws.

I contacted the broker who had assured us she was in excellent condition and queried the mast attachment. 

After some muttering about not suppling us a dangerous boat we also ascertained the that where also too short and too narrow. 

I dried the pad, had a good poke around and extracted some wood from the holes that had been used as a shim to get too small a screw to grip.

I decided that the surrounding wood was reasonably sound and changing the manufacturers spec screws and sealing would suffice. 

I was concerned that the thing was screwed direct into the wooden pad which I considered somewhat inviting this problem.  Alas the sailing teaching season was upon us so it’s been under close observation.   

One screw was sitting proud the other day so I investigated and found it had no grip and brought up comprised wood when extracted.

All 4 holes are now cored and redrilled so no screw provides a seep channel to wood. 

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2022, 09:36 »
Thanks for sharing the further details. Hopefully it's a one-off, but it's worth people knowing about this potential issue.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2022, 10:41 »
There have been several posts over the years about BayRaider tabernacle screws coming loose from their GRP/wood bases.  See for example https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2679.0.html

I don't know whether it only afflicts older boats but it was certainly a problem with my 2010 BR20.  After unsuccessful attempts to solve it using the original base, I eventually had a 1/2" marine ply plinth sealed over the top of the base and have not had any problems since.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Llafurio

« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2022, 13:59 »
In a marine environment, what CAN rot WILL rot.
Only a question of time.

Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan