Author Topic: Garmin 556s connection problems BR20  (Read 8748 times)

Colin Morley

Garmin 556s connection problems BR20
« on: 11 Apr 2013, 16:34 »
I could not do without my Garmin 556s but I have had problems with the female connector, that plugs into the back, getting verdigis with the damp resulting in no power getting to the Garmin. Luckily this was sorted out last summer at the Emsworth yacht harbour by a man who did electronics in the chandlery. He said he sprayed it with Electrolube.

Getting ready for this season the Garmin wont work again. I have checked the battery is charged, the cables properly attached, the fuse OK and tried to clean the connections on the Garmin and cable sprayed Electrolube on them but it still wont work.

I talked to Garmin who suggested the only remedy was a new cable - which I bought for about £25. The Garmin works with this attached to the battery.

So now the problem is to replace the old cable with the new cable from the Garmin to the battery and depth sounder. You would think that would be easy but the problem is the old cable goes inside the top of the centreboard case. I decided I would have to unscrew the top of the centreboard to get at it. Having removed all the screws I still cant move the top of the centreboard case!!

I suppose the only thing to do is reroute the new cable. Not an impossible job but before I stand on my head doing it I thought I would see if any one had any advice / experience.

While I am about it I might relocate the battery. I find it is in a most inconvenient place in front of the centreboard case and under a fibreglass panel that will only lift up about a foot.

Colin
BR James Caird

Colin Lawson

Re: Garmin 556s connection problems BR20
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2013, 16:51 »
I had exactly the same problem, No amount of cleaning the terminals would solve it.  The only solution was to buy a new cable. Which worked fine. 

Like you I undid the screws on the top of the centreboard case but it came away easily. So I cannot help you with your problem apart from confirming that in my case the top of the centre board was only attached by the screws.  Have you tried pulling harder?  :)

I agree that battery position is not ideal. Also my 7Ah battery does not quite last for a good days sailing.  So I am planning on a modification which will allow better access so that swapping batteries is easier.
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2013, 23:13 »

I read this post with some interest as I too have the Garmin 550s, albeit an older version of yours but to all intents the same.

I've used it for three years now without any problems, so far! Though I am minded now to go out and spray some WD40 on the connector!

For your info I have mine mounted forward of the centreboard on the central fill in bit. There it is safely out of the weather under the spray hood if it is up, or if not it is still partially protected by the foredeck. I can still see it quite clearly from the helm and it is out of the way of trailing ropes and be being kicked/trampled on! The female multi connector plug is stored in the dry, deep under the foredeck when disconnected so that may be to my advantage?

Re batteries, I use a 20 amp/hour battery that I got from one of those mobility scooter shops. They are pretty robust and fully sealed. I mount mine in the starboard locker (with petrol safely in the port locker) in a holder I made up, secured with webbing straps. It is easy to get out, or I can charge it in situ. I have fitted an inline on/off switch, fuse and a male/female jack plug so I can disconnect it in an instant. The cable runs out of the locker drain along the cockpit sole edge (taped in) upto the bow and connects into the Garmin wiring loom. My transducer is mounted forward of the centre board safely in the slot. I only had to take the c/b cover off to feed the transducer cable and it came off easily - far too easily!
I have never really tested the batteries longevity, but have used it for a weeks sailing without really thinking about charging it.
Bearing in mind my BR is wood epoxy with 'sensible' lockers that don't leak, and if they did there is a drain built in!

If you like I can post some pics of the battery and Garmin in situ if it helps?

Andy

Colin Morley

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2013, 07:59 »
Thank you Colin and Andy. All very interesting and helpful. Andy some pictures would be good because repositioning the battery and Garmin seems a very good idea. As always the devil is in the detail, particularly where to put the wires.
I will have to work a bit harder at getting the top off the centre board case.
Colin
BR James Caird

Matthew P

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2013, 15:16 »
Please excuse the following re-hash of a forum post I made a few years ago regarding battery location:

My solution to the battery location problem is a home-made “console” that slides over the centreboard case and houses Garmin 555S GPS mounted on top., a couple of Yuasa 12V 7AH C20 deep-cycle batteries, regulator, compass, horn, extinguisher and bits and bobs. 

The whole unit slides over the centreboard top plate from the stern and has battens beneath to prevent it lifting off.  Oars are a tight fit beneath but not unduly difficult to access. The whole lot can be dismounted from the boat and the batteries charged in comfort and (security) on my workbench.

The top is made from 9mm ply and the sides and box from 6mm ply.

An extinguisher is fitted mostly for insurance and to discourage people standing on top of the unit - I don’t expect the fire extinguisher to be much use in a fire!

The batteries are housed in compartments on either side under the hinged clear cover, with plugs to connect to GPS or (eventually) regulator/solar panel/outboard alternator. I had grand ideas about building a switch unit but never got around to it but some water-proof auto-electric plugs and sockets do a good and simpler job, including switching between batteries. The hinged covers are clear plastic so that I can see electrics and box contents without opening.

The depth sounder cable emerges from the CB through a small housing behind the unit.

The compass does not seem disturbed by the GPS, batteries and electrics but takes exception to the hand held VHF if I put in the compartments.  Of course steel tools upset it too.

The whole unit slides over the centreboard from the stern with rails to prevent it lifting, although the main sheet block needs careful positioning.  The oars can be removed without removing the unit.

The backboard is the correct height to support bed boards, when fitted, although the air horn (in plastic tube) must be removed first to avoid disturbed sleep.

I have not solved the corrosion lead problem except by replacing the cable lead.  One day the socket on the Garmin GPS will wear-out and I suspect I’ll have to buy an entire new unit or do some hefty-modifications.

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter