Author Topic: BayRaider Mods  (Read 12822 times)

Ron Dierolf

BayRaider Mods
« on: 02 Mar 2010, 21:29 »
Two things here.  I saw the post on the BayCruiser site about mounting a yuloh bracket on the swim ladder.  I don't want to put a swim ladder on my BayRaider but I would like to install a yuloh bracket.  Using that would be easier on  my old back than rowing.  I was thinking of a standard oar mount.  I hate to go drilling holes in my boat but I'm sure it will be necessary.  Has anyone mounted any new hardware in the transom area? 

Since access is limited I was thinking of drilling two oversided holes for the mount - which would be similar to the mounts on the gunwales.  The holes would be filled with epoxy and left to cure.  I would drill holes for self-tapping screws and install the mount that way, using a good adhesive sealant.  Any opinions?

Secondly, has anyone hove to in the BayRaider?  I've always sailed a sloop but the ketch rig and the self-tacking jib have me flumoxed.

Ron Dierolf
USA

Craic

Re: BayRaider Mods
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2010, 05:41 »
Secondly, has anyone hove to in the BayRaider?  I've always sailed a sloop but the ketch rig and the self-tacking jib have me flumoxed.

To sail heaved to, you lash the jib/boom to windward and let out the mainsheet, tiller to lee, as usual. The mizzen is your bonus sail because it lets you finetune your position to the wind and speed through the water. If weather is rough you can lie heaved to with jib and mizzen and the mainsail reefed twice or down completely. The ketch rig increases your options and lets you control the boat even better than without a mizzen.
I use heaving to for single-handed fishing. You can adjust the sails so that the boat left on its own makes slow progress to lee and to windward at the same time. Fishing with feathers, the fish like that movement of the lure through the water which is then at cross-angle with the ripple or wave direction on the surface.

Ron Dierolf

« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2010, 15:57 »
Thanks.  So....it's the same as heaving to in a sloop - either tack and leave the jib fixed or back the jib.  I need to anticipate by preparing a jib line since the self-tacking rig will not facilitate the maneuver.  Just another line to have on the boat.   Since I do a lot of solo sailing I need to mount an eyestrap on the boom so I can quickly shackle the new line to it when needed.   Is that what you did or do you just tie a line to the boom?

Ron

Craic

« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2010, 17:30 »
Since I do a lot of solo sailing I need to mount an eyestrap on the boom so I can quickly shackle the new line to it when needed.   Is that what you did or do you just tie a line to the boom?

I just tie a temporary knot into the lee sheet then haul the boom to windward.