Author Topic: BayRaider Rig  (Read 16556 times)

Colin Lawson

BayRaider Rig
« on: 22 Feb 2010, 14:20 »
Hi, I have been lurking here for some time, dreaming of the day I might be able to afford a BayRaider.  I have previously been a single handed Wayfarer cruiser but am attracted by the increased safety / security without loss of sailing ability and the camping possibliities of the BayRaider.  However, I am just a little concerned that I will miss (especially with a crew) the ability to tweek things like jib/genoa, kicking strap, travellers etc.  Could sailing a BR be a little boring???  I would be interested in any comments - has anyone considered a more conventional rig for the main and foresail, why did you rule these out etc?

All the best,

Colin Lawson  (Salisbury UK)
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

Julian Swindell

Re: BayRaider Rig
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2010, 17:08 »
Hi Collin
Welcome aboard. I have got the BayCruiser which doesn't have the self tacking jib. There were a variety of reasons around the ability to set and furl the jib from the cockpit. I was sorry not to have it until I got my boat, but now I am not sure that I would change back to the self tacker even if I could. Partly because it gives the crew something to do, and when my daughter sails, I am the crew. But also because it is so easy to back the jib for heaving to more effectively. It is also nice to have the wire forestay in place should the jib break free.
However, you you want fun and games with ropes on the BayRaider, just fit the bowsprit and asymmetric spinnaker and I think you will have all the excitement you can handle!
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Craic

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2010, 17:26 »
Hi Colin,
the rig is as boring as you use it. You can adjust it so that it needs little attention even when singlehanding in a blow and some sea, or you can sail it actively, especially in connection with an empty ballast tank. And besides there is no end to tuning and tweeking it up further. Kicker, traveller, bigger spinnaker, whatever you desire.
The Gunter rig with the short main mast is ideal for raiding and for trailering. In raids you often lower the mast to cross under bridges or when rowing up small rivers and canals into a headwind. And for trailering the mast does not have to be unbolted from the tabernacle. The performance of the Gunter rig is excellent, we often race against Bermudan rigged boats.

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2010, 23:18 »
Hi, Colin.

Had a test sail in a Bayraider yet?

Take a look at the Lake Bala video. Hardly any wind but those guys with the asymetrics were a lot less bored than most.

Colin Lawson

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2010, 00:33 »
Thanks for the quick reply guys. You have allayed my concerns.

Tony, yes I had a test sail at Beale park last Spring/Summer.  Hardly any wind but I was impressed nevertheless. Matt had to "throw me off" - I would have carried on sailing back and forth all day.

I just need to collect the pennies together - I can't quite get out of my mind that the BayRaider would cost more than twice as much as I have ever spent on a car.
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

Craic

Оборудование для освещения
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2010, 04:23 »
Компания Horoz Electric была основана в 90-х годах, за время нашей деятельности мы засулжили хорошую репутацию благодаря качеству нашей продукции и современным технологиям. Светодиодный прожектор 100W HL174L . Мы делаем и реализуем высококачественное оборудование для освещения помещений, уличного и паркового освещения.

Сегодня в деятельности нашей фирмы используются опробованные решения, которые позволили стать нашей компании одним из лидеров рынка. Мы имеем оборудованную лабораторию, разрабатывающую всевозможные инновации в мире осветительной техники. Патрон HL 581 . Поэтому имеющаяся продукция, включая уличные светильники, внутренние светильники и другие позиции в на наших страницах, порой приводит в восторг даже требовательных клиентов.

В своей работе компания основывается на тенденциях рынка и пожеланиях наших клиентов. Уличные фонари.  Поэтому постоянно трудимся над усовершенствованием каталога и предложений, дабы любой клиент имел возможность подобрать себе наиболее подходящий вариант.

Одним из основных требований в работе нашего магазина становится грамотный и ответственный сервис. Потолочный светильник HL892 .  Для каждого покупателя обеспечен отличный сервис, соответствующий гарантированному качеству от известного бренда.

Julian Swindell

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2010, 09:38 »
I agree with Claus 100% on this. The last four boats I had were all sold for the same or more than I paid for them. (Please don't tell my wife I said that, she will start counting up things like paint, rope, anchors, rope, charts, rope, books, mooring fees, rope etc etc. I always seem to have lots of rope, but never quite what I need.)
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Tony

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:23 »
I can't quite get out of my mind that the BayRaider would cost more than twice as much as I have ever spent on a car.

Hi, Colin.
Beale Park is fun.... but you should have seen the first BayRaider at the 2007 Semaine du Golfe. When most people were reefed down Matt was throwing the thing around with full sail - and a big grin - doing the nautical equivalent of handbrake turns and doughnuts (but more eco-friendly!) Nine knot tides? What nine knot tides!
In principle I agree with Claus about cars, although classic car buffs would not agree. However, as most of us do more driving than sailing over the course of a year we might as well drive something enjoyable.....which is why I tow Four Sisters with a Subaru Impreza, not a LandRover Defender!

As for the expense....Well, what else do you need to spend it on? Kids shoeless? Wife starving? I am a firm believer in the concept that people with disposable income should dispose of some of it. Support the economy! Help boat builders put their kids through college! (ie Money does no good until you start moving it around.)
No one actually NEEDS a BayRaider. (Problems start when people think they need stuff - you know - like a new fitted kitchen, a new car, bigger house. Thats why the  banks do so well!) But if you WANT something like a BayRaider the only real consideration is  "..will I get value for money with THIS boat as opposed to some other boat?" 

I think you  already  know the answer to that one!

Edwin Davies 2

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:16 »
We bought a car for £25 in 1962 and still have it, it is worth £5000 now. But what is better is that it is challenging and fun to drive, even though it only cruises at 40 mph. a BR17 has the same potential for me. not the 40 MPH. I continue to collect items of use, I was given a good lifejacket yesterday! All I need now is the boat. I was pleased to see Matt recruiting. Pity about the VAT going up after the election, Bad timing.

Alan Godber

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2010, 19:27 »
Hi Colin,

Bit of a delayed response to your question and we're probably not yet too qualified to speak from practical experience having only collected our new BR from Matt on Saturday.  What we can say is that we went through the same thoughts and anxieties that you are.

We've sailed a Laser Stratos for the past 5 years but for us, we needed to look ahead at where we wanted to sail (more estuary and coastal as well as our local inland sailing club), therefore how quickly we could rig and launch (the quicker the better), how much longer we could lug a heavy dinghy up and down slips on a launching trolley (not much, we're not getting any younger and having come to sailing late, we want to continue as long as possible) and stability ( we're not getting any younger etc...).

After looking at all sorts of boats, we kept coming back to the BR and like you one of Shirley's concerns about the self-tacking jib was, "What do I do now?"  We discussed this with Matt and we decided to go with the self tack rig.  OK, going close hauled she will just watch the jib go across but on alterations of course she will still need to trim.  She will also be looking after the mizzen because I'll forget it's behind me.  Oh yes, and there's that big pink genni to play with too.  As others have said, there are ways to heave-to as well.

Yes, it's a big outlay money wise but for us the BR meets all our requirements and will see us sailing in new areas and more frequently for many years to come.

Alan & Shirley Godber

Craic

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2010, 07:28 »
Just a snippet of information for aficionados, how Denman Marine in Australia sand the BayRaider mainmast from birdsmouth to round. Nice little setup of the lathe.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KPXNKlaAo8&feature=youtube_gdata