Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Chinese Yuloh

(1/3) > >>

Julian Swindell:
Has anyone used a Chinese yuloh? The single bent sculling oar over the stern. I have lashed one together for my BayCruiser, but have no idea how it might work on the water. I have posted some photos on my blog. Any comments or advice appreciated.
http://daisygracebaycruiser20no1.blogspot.com/2010/03/yuloh.html

Ron Dierolf:
I'd really like to know how you mounted it on the transom and how it works in use.  I want to to do the same thing on my BayRaider.  How long are the legs? 

I think the concept will work.  I dislike using an outboard and think the yuloh is an elegant way to go.  A closeup of the transom mount would be very interesting.  Good luck and please post some more details and the results.

Ron Dierolf

Julian Swindell:
Hi Ron.
I have no idea if it will work yet. The two sections of the yuloh were about 6ft (1.8m) long initially, with a slight overlap at the joint. That was just the length the wood came in from the shop. The pivot socket is a brass end cap from a water pipe and is just screwed and epoxied to the under side of the handle just near the joint. I decided that the handle projected too far into the cockpit so I have sawn about 10 inches off it. So the blade is about 1.8m long and the handle about 1.6m I think the blade may be too short, and needs more projection into the water, but I haven't tried yet. The angle is about 11 degrees, for no particular reason. 12-13 degrees might stow better beside the cabin.
The pivot is a 10mm coach bolt fitted to the platform I have bolted on the rear deck for a boarding ladder. That meant I didn't have to do anything drastic to the boat and can take it all off if it doesn't work. I ill try to post photos of it below

Michael Rogers:
Julian, there is an interesting article on the yuloh in the latest Junk Rig Association Newsletter (which is actually an elegantly produced magazine). It's by Slieve McGalliard, who is R&D Secretary of the JRA and, together with some Norwegians, has evolved the variable camber sail for junk rig which has transformed its overall performance. (It was Slieve's yacht Poppy which astonished Cowes in the round-the-island race in 2008). The article combines theory with practicalities, and includes a 'recipe' for an effective yuloh, which determines things like overall length (likely to be at least 50% of LWL), length and shape of blade, degree of bend and where it should be, taking into account the height of the yuloher and his/her position in relation to the bend. All this seems to assume a working angle of 45 degrees of the yuloh loom/blade with the water surface.

You may feel you have enough 'theory' to work with. If not, I could photocopy the article and post it to you - if I knew your address! I'm not sure what the rules of this forum are about exchanging such information - ??

Relating all this to my boat, I wonder whether one can yuloh ( the noun has become a verb; I hope that's allowed) sitting down? Probably not. For various reasons I'll probably have to stay with sculling, which at least I can already do. How to make that practical with a double-ender? - I have seen the archive picture (on a website) of this being done.

Simon Knight:
Julian,
Did you ever get around to testing your Yuloh?  I was pointed towards this thread from the pedal power one.

A quick google it seems that a Yuloh could be perfect for those of use who want to get rid of the outboard.  I found one reference to propelling a five ton thirty foot yacht at 2 knots.

I wonder if the mizen will get in the way.

Best wishes
Simon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version