Author Topic: BRE Centreboard lifting problem  (Read 1677 times)

Farmer Pete

BRE Centreboard lifting problem
« on: 07 Aug 2022, 19:36 »
Hello everyone.My first post,
Last year I replaced all the blocks and ropes etc on my BRE centreboard as the pulleys had shattered.All seemed throughout last season, however this year once the board has been down for a while it becomes impossible to lift.Really quite solid.Then all of a sudden it will lift perfectly without having changed anything.
I am assuming something is getting caught up somewhere but wondered if anyone had any tips?
Many thanks Pete

mark1

Re: BRE Centreboard lifting problem
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2022, 21:58 »
I had something similar happen a few years ago, and I really can't remember what was getting caught, but taking the top off the cockpit end of the centreboard case while the boat is afloat to have a look will hopefully be a quick and easy job depending on what has been used to seal it. As there is nothing very complicated in there hopefully yours will also be an easy fix!

Llafurio

« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 2022, 22:39 »
Pete,
from what you write about having recently replaced the centreboard uphaul pulley blocks, I think you have by accident also changed the max-down angle of the centreboard, so that now the centreboard can swing too far forward, and can then catch the underside of the two hardwood cheeks on either inside of the case when being hauled. This can have very serious consequences as the hardwood cheeks are vital to hold and guide the board, to take the lateral strain.
Do look in and check, and to remedy, limit the "full down" of the board so that the board cannot escape from between the two cheeks.
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Farmer Pete

« Reply #3 on: 08 Aug 2022, 15:14 »
Many thanks Mark1 and Llfario.
I will check as you suggest.
Pete