Author Topic: BC26 - Guard rail seat backs - moving of  (Read 1982 times)

AndyB

BC26 - Guard rail seat backs - moving of
« on: 02 Jul 2022, 09:04 »
I have a difficult pontoon and I predominately sail on my own. The wind is quite often blowing me off the pontoon. Being in an annual contract means I need to get used to it and also its a challenge to evolve strategies to overcome the issue.  But there is always a compromise when an annual contract is £3.8K compared to others at £6k...

In my previous boat I would use the spring method to dock which I still use. So I drop the line over a pontoon cleat at around the stern of the boat. The line passes through the mid cleat ( on the boat)  back to the cockpit which I tie off and then use the engine to keep the boat close to the pontoon ( rudder in the appropriate position depending on tide and wind) whilst I jump off and attach the line at the bow. You need to be quick in a strong blow as the bow likes to leave the pontoon always quicker than you want. I have hip issues so jumping over the BC26's guard rails really is a no no. It also looks dangerous anyway.  So I have come up with an approach which I thought I would share with you all. I hope it is useful.

You will see in one picture the normal position. I have moved the tensioner to the stern rather than the front and turned it round so I can pull up on the tensioner not down. I have replaced the connectors at the other end with Pelican hooks. These have the advantage of releasing the tension and then re-applying the tension when you want to put it back. The tensioner then becomes irrelevant. It also means detaching/attaching the guard rails is very easy and quick.

In the other picture is where I temporarily put the seat/guard rail when approaching the pontoon. It misses the engine/rudder  etc and ties it out of the way so you don't trip over it etc.  This allows me to quickly jump off as well as having easy access to the cleats on approach to the pontoon. When I have visitors I can also move it to allow them easy access.

If any of you have other ideas especially docking approaches in the BC26 compared with other boats please let me know. Otherwise I hope this is of interest to you all.

Andy B
Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

Peter K

Re: BC26 - Docking
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2022, 20:54 »
Hi Andy,

Picking up late on this.

In case still of interest

wrt berthing:  I  have a lot fun and games berthing since on a short finger pontoon in a narrow fairway with tidal flow, and the BC26 is easily blown about!

I use a bridle instead of a spring both for bows-first and stern to.

For bows-first, effectively a stern bridle: warp fixed to midship cleat on boat, and stern cleat on boat  (either fixed measured length or with warp over stern cleat loose and ready to be hauled in), warp coiled and thrown / dropped over first cleat on pontoon, motoring ahead to bring into pontoon etc
Stern first,  technically a mid-ship,bridle I think? , again warp tied onto midship and stern cleat on boat (measured & marked to stop stern 1m short of cross pontoon!)and dropped over first cleat at end of pontoon, reversing to draw into pontoon.  It is easier to approach this way (stern to) but longer length of warp means more susceptible to be blown about by the wind.

Best,

Peter

AndyB

Re: BC26 - Guard rail seat backs - moving of
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2022, 09:18 »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info. I shall certainly try it out. I might even try  a bridle from the front cleat (on the boat) to the rear cleat as I have a cleat slightly away from the side of the pontoon. The wind is normally blowing you off and the idea of reversing in and then using the bridle to stop the bow is appealing.

I am currently using a rope tied between the cleats on the pontoon. I then use a Handy duck to clip on and the rope goes into the boats mid cleat. I then pull on tight and then jump off and connect the bow. I used this method sometime ago when I first went from a mooring buoy to a pontoon. Maybe a combination would work well for me. The spring approach is not working because of the positioning of the pontoon cleats. Good to go in bows but not stern. Stern is better due to the sea state ( I am on a river pontoon)

I am next sailing on Thursday ( I hope ) so will try all methods.

I can see that you are in a similar position to me - a river pontoon on a large river. I am on a alongside a long pontoon rather than a finger. I would be interested in sailing around that area if you have time and an inclination. Let me know ( PM?)

best regards Andy
Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

AndyB

Re: BC26 - Guard rail seat backs - moving of
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2022, 08:53 »
Hi Peter,
Thanks very much for the suggestions which I have now tried out. I temporarily have used my old uphaul as it is very long.

I attach 2 pictures - close up and full - I have attached to the bow cleat and to the stern cleat. I arrive stern to and use a boot hook to drop the rope onto the cleat. My issue is keeping the bow close to the pontoon which this neatly fixes. I think mid-cleat would also work and probably better so shall try that next time. Having the engine tilted towards the pontoon keeps the stern close to the pontoon. So all in all a good solution.

I also have a plan B which you can just make out in the full picture. It is a "handy dock" which clips onto a rope running between the cleats on the pontoon. It goes through the mid cleat and then to the stern cleat then up to the winch. If all goes wrong I can clip onto the rope and then winch in the boat.

regards
Andy B
Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss