Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Mobile device navigation

<< < (8/8)

AndyB:
I do apologise for getting all technical.

When you buy sensors and a commercial chart plotter and want them all joined together you generally also purchase an installation service. This is why they are so expensive....

The same can be said if you purchase sensors and join them up to to chart plotters based on tablets/ phones etc.

For years on my previous boat I had a depth sounder with its own display ( NASA) and a mobile phone with Navionics and used the phone's GPS and it all worked just fine. Then I purchased a Bluetooth wind instrument which connected to my phone and flipped between the map and the wind instruments. I often wished I stayed that way.

Then I got the Baycruiser 26 and it came with all these NMEA based sensors and to integrate them all is complicated and you need some knowledge to do it. There must be an installation service out there for those that need it.

But please stay with a tablet , Navionics and a separate depth sounder and use the tablet's GPS. It is all so much simpler.

You can extend the battery life by turning the display intensity down. I find at 75% it lasts more than a day and you can still see it in the sun. Screen intensity is the largest consumer closely followed by the GPS sensors.

Graham W:
A revised model of the Sailproof 10” Android tablet is coming out next month https://sailproof.shop/product/sp10x-high-end-10-inch-android-rugged-tablet/.

The main improvements are a faster and more capable CPU (including a barometric pressure sensor), a screen that can be read with polarised sunglasses and a waterproof charge socket and lead.  No change to battery capacity or to screen resolution or brightness, which are a bit on the low side compared to some competitors but still perfectly good enough for our sun-drenched sailing purposes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version