Author Topic: Which font for boat names?  (Read 2023 times)

RogerLennard

Which font for boat names?
« on: 30 Dec 2022, 13:51 »
Hello everyone, is there a common type of font you used for the names on Swallow Yachts? I imagine that it shouldn't be too complex/unusual so that it can be read from a distance.

I am also close to choosing a short name for my boat that is easy to spell. After hearing a mayday call from a boat called 'Bob the Magnificent' being read out phonetically, I decided that shorter was better.

Happy New Year!

Julian Merson

Re: Which font for boat names?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2022, 21:19 »
I'm unaware of a rule book, here.  I seem to recall using this lot: https://www.funkymonkeyboatnames.co.uk/
These days, the choice of fonts is huge so, as you say, it falls to the one you think looks best.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Philip L

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2022, 23:53 »
Lara at Swallow Yachts is the person that knows all things and this is what she told me for our BC23
The standard font that they tend to use is this:-
https://www.dafont.com/althea.font 
I asked for our name on each bow on the top chine between bulwark and rubbing strip. Some have the name on the transom.
On the bow, the capital lettering is 7.5 cm high.  White often shows up better but obviously depends on hull colour.
Notwithstanding all this, the choice is entirely yours and I agree with Julian -  Funkymonkey were helpful when I asked about marking up my inflatable.
I will attach a photo so you can see what our boat name looks like and for further ideas look at the association Facebook page.  A recent post by Jonathan Stuart shows Papagena and other boats moored up at Mylor
BC 23 Saphira

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2023, 18:33 »
Another vote for Funky Monkey.
Not the cheapest, but very professional, prompt and the materials supplied seem to be good quality. Easy to apply.

They don't  appear to do Althea font, but I've been happy with Times New Roman Bold.

Transom only for me, but also with port of registry and SSR number.
I believe that, officially, SSR numbers need to be on each side?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

RogerLennard

« Reply #4 on: 04 Jan 2023, 21:00 »
Lara at Swallow Yachts is the person that knows all things and this is what she told me for our BC23
The standard font that they tend to use is this:-
https://www.dafont.com/althea.font 
I asked for our name on each bow on the top chine between bulwark and rubbing strip. Some have the name on the transom.
On the bow, the capital lettering is 7.5 cm high.  White often shows up better but obviously depends on hull colour.
Notwithstanding all this, the choice is entirely yours and I agree with Julian -  Funkymonkey were helpful when I asked about marking up my inflatable.
I will attach a photo so you can see what our boat name looks like and for further ideas look at the association Facebook page.  A recent post by Jonathan Stuart shows Papagena and other boats moored up at Mylor

That's very helpful. I think that my boat is the same colour as yours and the white lettering you chose stands out well. I was thinking black previously because the Swallow Yachts decals on the boat come in black.

Julian Merson

« Reply #5 on: 04 Jan 2023, 21:17 »
I went for brown on white, which matches the sprayhood. No idea which font I chose, but could probably work it out…
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jan 2023, 21:24 »
I think my vinyl names are in Times New Roman Bold, or something very like it, all upper case in gold.  I had it done in 2013 and it still looks pretty good, unlike my woodwork.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III