Author Topic: No holes bored  (Read 1875 times)

RogerLennard

No holes bored
« on: 14 Jan 2023, 17:38 »
I want to add a couple of rope bags to hold the excess ropes plus snacks or drinks in my BR20. I am against drilling holes in the boat to add deck lacing eyes for rope bags. Is there a better solution? Would it work if I used sealant to stick an oak/mahogany pad onto the gelcoat. I could then screw deck lacing eyes into the wooden pad. Alternatively, could I attach velcro to the gel coat and rope bag?
What have you tried and what works?

Llafurio

Re: No holes bored
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2023, 19:07 »
What have you tried and what works?

I screwed rope and drinks bags to the wooden railing strips along the cockpit sides, below the seats, fore and aft of the storage lids.
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Sea Simon

Re: No holes bored. Canvas bags and fittings
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2023, 09:14 »
My BRe had factory-fit halyard bags on the outside cabin bulkheads, port n Stbd. Must be pics on here somewhere?
These are attached with turn button fasteners, see here. Bags Easily removable for cleaning.
https://www.jclarkemarine.com/blogs/news/116462277-what-are-turnbuttons

I added two guard rail bags from C n J Marine in Chichester, inside cabin. Attached by extending the turnbutton fastenings thru the bulkhead. £18.
https://www.cjmarine.co.uk/product-category/marine/canvas-accessories/
They will also fit on the cockpit side rails like Llafurio describes. The guard wire attachment, velcro securing flap (on the back of the pockets) can be heat cut, and modified so as to form "saddle bags" attached over the wooden rails, with no need for additional  fasteners. The acrylic  canvas does not fray if cut with a hot knife.

Excellent quality canvas work, and available to match my beige acrylic canvas original sailcover etc, reasonable prices, PROMPT delivery too (a great rarity for small canvas items, from sailmakers in my experience!). Imho...They look much better than "standard" chandler's stock items.
That good, I have ordered more for my "new" boat, including the large 3 pocket halyard bag (too big for BRe).

If you subscribe to their newsletter,  you get 10% discount on first order too! Effectively  freepost?
Obviously I'm  just a satisfied customer.

In my experience velcro attachment of such items to boat is not a long-term solution.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.