Author Topic: Up/down haul for Bayraider 17/20 centre board  (Read 1757 times)

DavidBotterill

Up/down haul for Bayraider 17/20 centre board
« on: 24 Feb 2023, 20:56 »
As you uncover your boats this Spring please reply to this post with photo images and/or rig description of the centre board up and down hauls, please. Thank you,
David

david

Re: Up/down haul for Bayraider 17/20 centre board
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2023, 21:37 »

"photo images and/or rig description of the center board up and down hauls".

Hi David,  There have been several posts on this topic that you may be able to access. I tried to look for them to attach for you. But my skills on this forum are limited! I will leave that to those more skilled than me :)
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Sea Simon

See here.

https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17&URL=https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php?topic=2613

I would advise anyone in any doubt at all to take off the board wood capping piece(s) for inspection before returning to service; that may not be easy.

I resealed my capping using self adhesive neoprene foam gasket strip (similar to that used on the locker lids). NO GOOP!

All worked well over last season, including one inspection removal/replacement of the capping
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Up/down haul for Bayraider 17/20 centre board
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2023, 11:31 »
There have been a few posts about the arrangements for the BRe centreboard, which appear to have been problematic on some boats, but nothing that I could find on the BR20.

Here’s a brief description of the system on the BR20 to be going along with.  It’s fairly simple:  use the downhaul to pull the top of the pivoting centreboard aft and use the uphaul (on a 2:1 arrangement) to pull it forward.  The downhaul line is held in position with an auto-release Clamcleat, so that if the centreboard touches bottom, it releases with a loud bang.  The uphaul is led around the starboard side of the centreboard casing via through-deck and cheek blocks to a large plastic Clamcleat.  Both lines are within reach of the helm and the system works well.

Attached a photo of the centreboard in which the downhaul is easy to see - it’s the brown three strand line fastened to the black bullseye fairlead.  It goes through a bullseye fairlead on the end of the slot and then to the auto-release Clamcleat, both out of frame, bottom left.  Part of the uphaul (a black line) can just about be seen underneath the aft edge of the wooden infill.  It’s secured on the port side, passes through a couple of through-deck bushes in the top of the centreboard and then on to a through-deck block in the starboard centreboard capping.  From there down to the cheek block and then along aft to the big plastic Clamcleat, attached to the side of the centreboard casing.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III