Author Topic: Mizzen Boom  (Read 1725 times)

Simon Bright

Mizzen Boom
« on: 10 Apr 2023, 16:36 »
Dear Members,

I have a 2014 BRE 20 and need a new boom for the mizzen. ( Don't ask me how it got lost but the Cardiff Lock was involved) . I have followed earlier correspondence on bottom Mizzen booms or wishbone. Wishbone seems to the the Swallow standard ? However I am persuaded by experience and the argument and I want to bottom mizzen boom. ( My lost boom was bottom boom) Does anyone have the dimensions and plan for a bottom boom so that I can make a replacement ?

Thanks,

Simon Bright

Llafurio

Re: Mizzen Boom
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2023, 20:58 »
I make the bottom booms 6" longer than the foot of the sail, and haul the sail clew with my patent rope outhaul. I usually use 2" x 2" knot-free pine.

The first photo below shows a BRE main and mizzen rig adapted for a Drascombe Drifter. Zoom in for details.

The second photo shows the rig on a BRE. In this photo the mizzen boom is made from a carbon mast leftover, so it is a bit shorter than 6".

(Please note that the mainsail in both photos is a reduced size "work" sail, fully adequate for west coast of Ireland conditions.)
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Simon Bright

Re: Mizzen Boom
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2023, 14:02 »
 :) Thanks Llafurio. That is very useful.

Simon