Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Mizzen self tacking

<< < (2/2)

Conor:
Ah, thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I have a lot to learn but reckon I'll have fun doing it!

Graham W:
I'm not convinced that the mizzen riding up is a big problem even in strong winds if the mizzen boom is correctly positioned against the mast.  It then acts as a sprit boom, holding the sail down in much the same way as the boom does to the mainsail on gunter rigs.

Attached a photo of my mizzen with very strong winds coming in over the starboard quarter, taken by my crew during Raid England 2015.  With hindsight, it probably would have been sensible to have furled the mizzen in these conditions.  We reached over 11 knots surfing down the front of big waves and were barely in control.

garethrow:
I note that Graham's 'snotter' (mizzen sprit goosneck) is well up the mast adjacent to the bottom of the sail. It is easy for the said 'snotter' to work loose and slide down the mast a little so that one looses the 'sprit' effect of the boom, or at least on my boat this occassionally happens - causing the mizzen to lift.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Gareth RowlandGPR BR20 Halen Y Mor

Conor:
Thank you both for the advice and thoughts. I will experiment a bit this weekend and see what works

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version