Author Topic: Electric trolling motor on BR20 or similar boat?  (Read 2658 times)

Andy Stobbart

Has anyone got any experience of using an electric trolling motor (e.g. MinnKota, Watersnake or any of a number of Chinese brands) as opposed to one of the new, fancy electric outboards (e.g. Torqueedo, ePropulsion, etc) on their Bayraider 20?

I have read most of the electric ob posts including those describing tests and static thrust comparisons and a whole load of YT videos & web articles but I am wondering if anyone uses one as their everyday motor on a BR20/BC20/BRe and if so what is their set-up?

I am particularly interested in finding out what thrust rating will suffice to move the boat reasonably well and whether or not there are problems pushing the motor/prop assembly down through the outboard well lammelae.

FWIW I understand the limitations w.r.t. using an electric motor to travel long distances and/or counter strong wind and tide but this is not my use-case: all I want/need to do is get sufficiently far off shore to set the sails and back again and set the anchor.

I currently have a Honda 2hp and it is more than adequate power-wise but also noisy, smelly and a faff to reverse. Having recently acquired a LiFePo4 battery cheaply  I hope to use that to power lights/devices, my electric trailer winch and an electric outboard if I can identify a suitable one…

Any input welcomed!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Electric trolling motor on BR20 or similar boat?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jun 2023, 16:54 »
Andy,

What size is your battery?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Andy Stobbart

« Reply #2 on: 06 Jun 2023, 19:47 »
330x172x214mm but i am not sure what that has got to do with what i am asking…

Andy Stobbart

« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2023, 20:05 »
And 100ah.

Ape Ears

« Reply #4 on: 06 Jun 2023, 21:03 »
Hi Andy,

I have a 'Thrustme Kicker' 1kW following Matthew Peacock's experience. Weighs about 5kg. Fits the outboard well in the BRE with room to spare. Easy to lower and raise through the lamellae as the small prop is protected by its surrounding nacelle. Good directional stability , runs forward and reverse in 5 increments via a remote control which can be on the unit or clipped to operator . Separate magnetic kill cord.

I only have a 50 kW Lithium battery. This can be used to recharge the Kicker via a 12/24V transformer, or via a car power outlet, or 240V charger. There is the possibility of using a direct power cable to an external battery.

Ideally suited to fresh water as manufacturer advises rinsing if used in salt water. Ingestion of weed or stones can chew up the propeller which is replaceable with the spare provided.

Power output propels the BRE at approximately 2 knots on power level 1, and 2.5 knots at level 2. Integral battery loses 20% charge after 30 minutes use at these power levels. Ideal for using on a lake to launch and return from sailing, or gentle silent cruising for 3 miles. Far better than using oars when becalmed.

This motor is not adequate to deal with strong headwinds or currents due to the windage of the coachroof stack pack and masts of the BRE for any length of time in my opinion. I shall be undertaking further assessment for two days next week on Bala lake and report back.

In my opinion it is always necessary to have some means of auxiliary propulsion. I also have the use of a 2.3hp Honda and 6hp Yamaha for offshore use, and I would choose the most suitable for any trip. The Kicker would also be ideal for a tender.

I would be happy to answer any further queries.

Kind regards, Andrew
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

RogerLennard

« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2023, 21:55 »
I mainly sail my BR20 on a lake and use a small electric motor to take me from or to the jetty or if the wind dies. The motor is a 'Motorguide' 45lb thrust unit and it does the job just fine. I was given it by a mate, who was throwing it out because it had stopped working. I spent about £20 on a new controller. I fitted this where the old one had been and chopped off the tiller part, which kept getting in the way when I angled the motor to pull it through the flaps. The power cable fits through the fuel pipe gland into the port locker. Here it connects to a 70Ah lead acid battery that I bought from a scrapyard.
The motor has worked well and is a cheap alternative on a lake where petrol outboards are banned.

Andy Stobbart

« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2023, 22:42 »
Great replies thanks.
Unfortunately the Thrustme Kicker is too expensive for me but it is useful to know that it can move a BRe (which as mentioned is just about all i need it to do) as it gives me a point of reference for comparison.
Also useful to know that a 45lb thrust motor can move the BR20.
I have been considering 55 or 62lb thrust options but I have found a table from somewhere of suitable lb thrust/boat size & weight which suggests that 44 might be enough and i have talked with a guy who was moving a Wharram catamaran satisfactorily for him on 30!
All in all it sounds like I won’t go too far wrong with 44-62 but am I going to have problems pushing the motor nacelle through the flaps on the outboard well? I won’t be able to try before I buy so I need to be as certain as I can that I won’t be buying something that isn’t going to be suitable in that respect as well…

RogerLennard

« Reply #7 on: 07 Jun 2023, 19:32 »
I don't think you will have too many problems pushing the nacelle through the flaps. I find that it goes through into the water easily. Retrieval is quite simple too. I fully disconnect the power and angle the motor. The propeller blades come through the flaps and sometimes need the slightest alignment to do so. The rest of the nacelle then comes straight through with no damage to motor or flaps.

Andy Stobbart

« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2023, 20:13 »
Do you have any idea of the diameter of the nacelle on your motor Roger?

Andy Stobbart

« Reply #9 on: 08 Jun 2023, 04:58 »
Do you have any idea of the diameter of the nacelle on your motor Roger?

RogerLennard

« Reply #10 on: 08 Jun 2023, 20:47 »
I don't have it with me to measure I'm afraid. Probably around 25cm but I couldn't be sure. I have attached a picture that gives you some idea of its size, relative to the BR20 outboard well.