Author Topic: Jib halyard pulley and tabernacles damaged  (Read 3224 times)

Conor

Jib halyard pulley and tabernacles damaged
« on: 11 Jun 2023, 08:03 »
We had a great sail yesterday but after. A few hours on the water the mast top pulley that raises the jib broke, causing the mast to fall back into the cockpit. The screw holding the tabernacle pulled out (one fully and two partially).  As the mast fell to one side it also bent the tabernacle, the rear piece that connects the two sides now has a slight curve.

Looking afterwards the screws will go back and firm up and the mast will go back in the tabernacle but it feels like a more snug fit than before, it felt like there was some lateral movement when the mast was down before.

So I have a few questions.
What is the best pulley to use for the jib (and spinnaker in the future)?
Would using the existing screws be ok ?
Is the tabernacle likely to be rescuable?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts (I'll try to add some images shortly)
New BR 20 sailor

Nicky R

Re: Jib halyard pulley and tabernacles damaged
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2023, 08:32 »
We spotted you being towed back in. Sorry to hear it was because the mast came down. I’d ask Matt about the tabernacle - he’s always been really helpful when we’ve had questions about our boats and he’ll be able to advise on whether you need to replace it.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Conor

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2023, 08:46 »
Thanks, good advice. I'll try that
New BR 20 sailor

Conor

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2023, 08:47 »
Another image of the tabernacle
New BR 20 sailor

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2023, 20:57 »
My tabernacle suffered significant damage when my mast went over the side at 90° because of a loose shackle securing the bottom of a shroud.  See https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,391.0.html. The yard sent it off to be bashed about and it came back as good as new.  However, I had recurring problems with the tabernacle screws pulling out, especially at the back.  I eventually had a shallow wooden platform epoxied  under the tabernacle to give the screws something more robust to bite into.  I’ve had no problems since.

I like Ronstan Series 40 blocks for heavy duty work like holding the mast up.  What make was the failed block?  It wasn’t made by a company beginning with ‘B’ by any chance?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Conor

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2023, 21:57 »
Thanks Graham

That is incredibly helpful and reassuring. I will look to do something similar. Did you epoxy the reinforcement on top of the existing pad or underneath ( below the deck)?

I don't know the make of the old block and there isn't enough left to identify. I think the old owner replaced the original BR double block with a single as he didn't use the spinnaker. I feel this block is worth investing in given the damage failure can cause.
New BR 20 sailor

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2023, 22:17 »
From what I remember, 1/2” marine ply was epoxied to the top of the existing GRP base, as per the attached.

The yard’s standard double block for flying both jib and spinnaker was a violin or fiddle block but I don’t know what they use these days.
Graham

Conor

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2023, 22:49 »
Thanks, that looks like a great fix, hardly noticeable.

Would you recommend a fiddle block for spinnaker or a double block? Or something else?

Sorry for all the questions but I am really keen to get back on the water in the best shape possible
New BR 20 sailor

Conor

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2023, 17:26 »
Responses from Matt at Swallow yachts in case anyone has a similar issue in the future

About the tabernacle
Yes, the tabernacle should hopefully be hammered back straight and screwed back in. Epoxy fill the holes first, then let set, then re pilot drill them, then screw back in.

About the block
To fly an Asym, use the Barton size 4 fiddle block with fixed end:
Fiddle- fixed eye   N05410
New BR 20 sailor

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2023, 20:00 »
Would you recommend a fiddle block for spinnaker or a double block? Or something else?

I’ve used all sorts of combinations over the years but was never very keen on the fiddle block, preferring to keep things separate.  This is because I often use a second furlable foresail (flying jiib or code zero) which requires a top swivel needing physical distance from the jib swivel, to avoid entanglement.  Current configuration is the attached, which includes a Ronstan series 40 for the jib and a Wichard MXEvo (https://marine.wichard.com/en/blocks/friction-blocks/mxevo/with-captive-pin/part-11603) suspended from a halyard crane for whatever I’m flying from the end of my bowsprit.  Not exactly KISS but I’m happy with it.  If you only ever intend to fly a non-furling spinnaker, a fiddle block may do the job.

I tried the epoxy and re-drill routine but I found that it didn’t work well for very long - hence the extra base.
Graham

Llafurio

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2023, 22:18 »
... Yes, the tabernacle should hopefully be hammered back straight and screwed back in. Epoxy fill the holes first, then let set, then re pilot drill them, then screw back in....

I do not do that. I drill the old holes out, 6mm, and put in "Fischer SX 6x30mm" nylon plugs, then re-use the old screws, or take new ones.
That works.
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Conor

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2023, 18:57 »
Thanks for the advice, it is good to have options. I will hopefully get it fixed over the weekend
New BR 20 sailor