Author Topic: Maintenance  (Read 14673 times)

Tony

Maintenance
« on: 19 Jul 2010, 15:44 »
Dear Marje.
I used to think that maintenance was a financial arrangement between divorcees.....or something mysterious performed by Main Agents  with knowing smiles when the warrantee  runs out.
Then I bought a Swallow boat. The paint finish was pristine, drawing gasps of admiration from all who saw her. Now, 5, or is it 6 years later, the paint finish is as good as it ever was. (A tribute to whoever of Matts craftsmen applied the finishing touches.)  The trouble is that it tends not to be seen so clearly under the layer of road grime, scratches, dings and graunches  picked up over the years.  The worst being the restyling job performed by someone’s wire bobstay  as they (nearly) passed us on a mooring.  These decorative touches are mostly my own work – I cant really blame anyone else for the anchor chain scratches all over the gunwale –  so I am beginning to imagine that  I ought to do something about them.
So. Here I am. It’s the first sunny day since....er.....the last one and, instead of sailing, Im dripping Sadolin  all over my second best Levi 501s! Im not normally so weak minded, Marje, but since returning from SeaFair Haven, where every other boat was B....Y  IMMACULATE , I’ve been having these feelings of inadequacy.  What should I do? Can I continue to pass off the boats tatty appearance as Work Boat Chic or should I grit my teeth and start sanding?  Will I just ruin what is left of my once youthful, fresh-as-new-paint looks? What do other people do in these circumstances?  I know its morally wrong but Ive even wondered about going to a professional .  After all, if I start Doing It Myself Ive heard that I could be forced join the OGA, varnish everything above the waterline ....and learn to play the Anglo concertina!
Please help!
Signed     -  Worried Blue eyes.

Michael Rogers

Re: Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2010, 00:11 »
Dear Blue Eyes

Thank you for your moving letter. Life is hard, isn't it, not least because for some of the really difficult decisions you have to make, you really do have to make them on your own: no-one else can do it for you.

However, cheer up because I can help! You will be able to get a much clearer idea of what tasks need to be done, and whether - brave you! - you can tackle them yourself if you get an ENJO GARAGE CLEANING GLOVE, and a bucket of clean cold water. You will be amazed! - dirt and grime of every kind - even naughty old grease and oil - simply vanish. No detergents or other chemicals needed, just plenty of water. Dry off with an old towel and - WHAT a shine! You may not need to re-paint at all, and if you do, no other pre-painting cleaning is needed. It's all down to some sort of 'super-microfibre', and I promise you it works: Uncle Enjo did NOT ask me to say all this to you, I've tried it myself. It's not cheap (£25), but will last for ever, and if you do really naughty things like wash your car yourself, you can use it for that as well!

And remember - Marje is with you all the way, though she is too busy with her own Swallowboat (aren't they booful?!!) to do yours as well.

Yours very moved and movingly          Marje.

PS Joking aside, it's worth having one of these. The results are astonishing. I had thought to mention it on the occasional thread re favourite tools started by Claus some while ago. But is it a TOOL?? It is most certainly useful. You should see the shine!

Tony

« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2010, 15:59 »
Hi, Marge....or should I say, Michael.
Thanks for your words of comfort and the idea of THE GLOVE  (Shades of Yellow Submarine here!)  Could not answer earlier as the Four Sisters and I ...and, Oh yes, the wife...were on Paxos on our annual drag out to the Ionian. I say annual but this could well have been the last time I take the boat out there for some time. It cost an absolute bomb this year due to 23% hike in Greek taxes etc.... (Anyone got and old BayRaider they don’t want that I could leave out there to save on the ferries?....Please?) ...and I drove 1200 miles with a rumbling wheel bearing on the trailer. Too stressful!  Taught me a lesson, though. 
ie Dont worry about the paint job when there are higher priorities! (No point lugging a spare bearing about if you don’t know how to change it.)
The sailing was well worth the time it takes to get there. The “Bora” shut us down for 3 days but for most of August it was steady F4s and a long, smooth swell coming in from the Adriatic. Which was nice....

Having a grotty paint job, last years Semaine du Golfe serial number stuck on the bow and the cockpit grimey with Milford Haven mud didn’t stop an Italian guy offering cash money for the old girl. (The boat, that is...) but I aint selling until the ashtrays are full. (What WAS that about cleaning the car? Never heard of such a thing...waste of good sailing time...)
Must admit that a BayRaider would be a better boat for the area as with a constant NE wind, getting home is ALWAYS to windward and my tacking angles with the balanced lug are not brilliant. As it is we bash to windward until sick of it...or it gets dark.... and then fire up the 4hp Yamaha and motor home at 6 knots. Thats one item I did maintain correctly.
I will miss the Ionian next summer.   (Note to self:  Buy copy of  “Bank robbery for fun and profit.”)

Blue Eyes

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2010, 18:29 »
I’ve been asked to explain (by an otherwise perfectly nice guy)  what all the gubbins on my jib boom shown in the previous posting might be. 

Please go to the    “NOT ALL SWALLOW BOATS ARE BAYRAIDERS”    thread.

Humph!!

zhen1827

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:49 »
Grounds maintenance workers perform a variety of tasks necessary to achieve a pleasant and functional outdoor environment. They mow lawns, rake leaves, trim hedges and trees; plant flowers; and otherwise ensure that the grounds of houses, businesses, and parks are attractive, orderly, and healthyugg. They also care for indoor gardens and plantings in commercial and public facilities, such as malls, hotels, and botanical gardens.
These workers use handtools such as shovels, rakes, pruning and handsaws, hedge and brush trimmers, and axes. They also use power lawnmowers, chain saws, leaf blowers, and electric clippers. Some use equipment such as tractors and twin-axle vehicles.
Grounds maintenance workers can be divided into several specialties, including landscaping workers, groundskeeping workersugg boots, pesticide handlers, tree trimmers, and grounds maintenance supervisors. In general, these specialties have varying job duties, but in many cases their responsibilities overlap.

Paul Cross

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2010, 17:00 »
::) I suddenly have an irrational desire to buy Ugg boots........................ .......

Craic

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2010, 18:50 »
::) I suddenly have an irrational desire to buy Ugg boots........................ .......

Funny,
I have the exactly opposite desire.

Maybe something wrong with me. Or with you? .......

Tony

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2010, 23:12 »
I think I met zhen1827 in a pub once.
Nice to see he hasnt lost his flair for sparkling wit and conversation. He had us all howling with laughter..... at his boots, I think, but I may have nodded off for a moment and missed something...
About as much fun as halitosis in a lift. A very SMALL lift.

Terry Cross

« Reply #8 on: 01 Oct 2010, 11:13 »
In view of “Zhens” contribution and on a wet and windy October morning, when there is no pleasure in sailing,  I thought I might cheer you up by offering a few light hearted tips based on my book
“ Garden maintenance and crop rotation on a trailer sailor”

Apologies in advance

I prefer Wellingtons to Ugg boots.

The fore deck makes an ideal space for a lawn. Before laying the lawn it is essential that you bolt on four anchor points to attach the deck chair. ( I lost three chairs in a week on a voyage from Liverpool to Birkenhead )
I use  a small battery powered lawn mower. The mains model has a limited range.

On the side decks I have placed window boxes in which I grow (in the interests of self sufficiency ) salad crops and root vegetables.  It is important that you choose the salt water and wind resistant varieties. Your nurseryman will help.
On a sunny day I choose a course upwind with lots of tacking to give equal sunlight to the port and starboard boxes.  If this cannot be achieved the boxes must be rotated.  Bird nets are essential on coastal passages ( blasted  seagulls )

These are just a few of the many tips and ideas from the book which was written many years ago before hover mowers and greenfly and may still be in print.

All enquiries to:-   CIDER PRESS PUB lishers  Devon
 ;D

Tony

« Reply #9 on: 01 Oct 2010, 15:25 »
Hi, Terry.

I don’t know about lawns on the fore deck... Id worry about the trim.

In a similar vein: 
Another maintenance–based story.
A sailing club member, now deceased,  was notorious for never actually sailing.  I mean NEVER.  Not even on the sunniest of summer weekends!  He did, however, support every social event and many of the season’s races – usually from the bar - and paid his dues on the dot each year.  His boat, a large, glass fibre day boat of unknown origin, had lost its cover (if it ever had one) years ago and consequently had filled with rainwater.  It was not the only neglected boat, it must be said, and as it was in a distant corner of the dinghy park few people took much notice.  However, it had quite an ecosystem going on in there after a while, what with the dead leaves rotting away and all.  The boat owner, when asked, claimed that  it only needed 5 minutes with a pressure washer to bring  it up to scratch. One of the joys of maintenance-free glassfibre for aging sailors was that you didn’t have to spend every week end with a pot of varnish in hand and a little drop of water inside was not a problem. The site manager, wishing to make a point, chucked in a handful of Canadian Pond weed – the curse of all reservoir sailors – into the mess and raised the matter with the committee, claiming it was an eye-sore, blot on the landscape, etc. etc., only to be informed that, according to the club rules, the guy was entitled to keep his boat in its designated  space so long as it was paid for. What he did with it, sailing or not sailing, was his own affair and as he wasn’t breaking any other rules that they could tell (and was, incidentally, adding  considerably to the social life of the club - and the Bar profits)  they didn’t propose to do anything about it.
Predictably, this did not please the site manager at all and he took to complaining about the “eyesore” to  anyone prepared to listen and quite a few who weren’t. It would appear that one or more of the  latter were founder  members  of the Guerrilla  Gardening  movement as one morning a water lily, in full flower, was noticed in the offending boat. This caused much hilarity in the club bar, mostly at the site managers expense. (No one had ever criticised the boat’s owner , he was a popular guy and at this time was hospitalised with what turned out to be his last illness.) The next week some bedding plants surrounded the terminally perished trailer tyres and, week by week, more  arrived until the whole pitch looked like an entry to the Chelsea Flower Show.  Finally, the piece de résistance , a pair of  gold fish were seen sheltering peacefully under the lily pads and a sign, stolen locally, proclaiming the site to be the winner of the English Heritage “Best Kept Village” award.
Unfortunately, not all stories have a happy ending and I have reached  the point where this one is best left alone. Suffice to say that the goldfish were none the worse for the experience but had to be found alternative accommodation in the fullness of time.