Author Topic: Sculling on a BRe  (Read 2897 times)

PeterDT

Sculling on a BRe
« on: 28 Jun 2023, 18:02 »
Is sculling possible with a BRe ? Does anyone have a working set up?
BR
Peter
BRe Anna (NL)

Matthew P

Re: Sculling on a BRe
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2023, 20:37 »
Is sculling possible with a BRe ?

First you need a strong and willing crew.  Two strong and willing crew is better than one. Sit them next to each other and yell at them when they start to tire.  Feed them porridge for breakfast and top up with more porridge and Bombay mix for lunch.

Then you need long (3mtr+) oars.  Originally I used ex-Sea Scout whaler 12ft wooden monsters. Then I graduated to borrowing Graham W's magnificent carbon fibre ones (made of Atlantic rowing boats I believe).  And finally I found some inexpensive tatty but posh second hand carbon fibre racing oars.  Storing long oars on a BR20 cockpit floor is possible.  Storing long oars into the shorter cockpit of a BRe is more of a challenge. Jointed oars are one solution but never seem as efficient as one-piece oars.

Something to brace feet against makes a big difference.  I made a demountable frame for Gladys that fitted like a Chinese puzzle into the cockpit floor and transmitted the two rowers combined 200Kg and leg muscle force to the outboard transom (that had no outboard!).  I never publicised this minor innovation because it gave a noticeable advantage.

Only last year did a friendly competitor, unwilling to continue watching me thrashing around, kindly gave me some serious rowing tuition.  If only I'd learned 40 years ago.

Do all this and you might find yourself disqualified for exceeding the Restronguet Creek speed limit!

Matthew

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

garethrow

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2023, 09:37 »
Sculling or Rowing - I am confused (easily done!)

Fully agree with Matthews comments on rowing but I had understood, perhaps incorrectly, Peter's query to refer to the practice of a large single oar over the stern waggled in a magical way to provide forward propulsion. There is a little green 'coffin' like boat that always attends Seafair Haven that uses this method with impressive results, having no engine and a small sail. I can't recall the make of the boat (though I think its name is 'Little Jim'?), but for those that have seen it, you will never forget it!

Either way, the chief challenge in a BRE is presumably to find a way of storing a decent length oar (or oars??).

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor ex S17 Gwennol Teifi

PeterDT

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2023, 21:38 »
Hi, i did mean sculling as described by Gareth. I was watching one of Roger Barnes videos on Youtube, him casually sculling his open boat out of port. I think sculling may be more feasible than rowing in the BRe if you are sailing solo. But i have never seen it done on a yacht the size of a BRe.

Matthew P

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2023, 12:47 »
Wikipedia says "Sculling is the use of oars to propel a boat by moving them through the water on both sides of the craft, or moving one oar over the stern" so I took the liberty of interpreting it to mean two oars both sides of the boat.

But sculling meaning "move one oar over the stern" is more interesting.  The best example I've seen on a BRe sized boat is Jack O'Keefe's Drascombe Coaster "Tyboat" which he sculled very elegantly at SailCaledonia in 2014.  There's an interesting article on Tyboat at https://www.nkde.nl/2010/yuloh-als-wrikken-op-epo/ .  In case you don't speak Dutch it can be viewed in English using Google Translate.  Open in Google, highlight the text and right click then use Google translate.

Gareth mentions another great example which is Lttle Jim, a Paradox built and sailed by Alastair Law.  In a DCA article Alastair mentions that sculling is low effort but not easy against wind or tide.  See https://www.dinghycruising.org.uk/uploads/7/6/9/7/76979649/sailing_the_paradox_alastair_law.pdf .

I'd be interested in anyone else's experience.

Matthew

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

PeterDT

« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2023, 12:52 »
Thanks! Reading Dutch is not really a problem ;)

Tobias L

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2023, 21:01 »
here is a youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_SX9gPJbM&list=PLCKJTo1Utcvv6S-tMT-_96QttwtKRN-ZV

his boat is larger then BRe

Regards
Tobias
BRe #125 - River Elbe, Hamburg