Author Topic: BR20 Anchor Choice  (Read 2262 times)

MarkF

BR20 Anchor Choice
« on: 10 Jul 2023, 14:05 »
Having read the plethora very helpful and informative posts about anchors, can anyone offer some advice to help with the final hurdle, before we part with lots of cash for a lump of metal, please?

We've narrowed our selection to Rocna 6kg or Manson Supreme 7kg. I think these are a comparable pair.

They seem similar apart from:
* Supreme has a slot along to top for the rode to slide on to help release a snagged anchor.  Does anyone know if this actually works?
* Supreme is cheaper.
* The Supreme is heavier. More to heft over the side.

Also, does anyone know whether these anchors will fit into the side lockers or under the panel in front of the centre board casing?   
BR20 Gunter-rigged

MarkF

Re: BR20 Anchor Choice
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2023, 10:10 »
For completeness:
Last-minute indecision, followed by watching Panope’s anchor vids (hoping the neighbours couldn’t see in) led to a change of heart.

Ended up buying a Spade 5.5kg.

Seems excellent, if slightly pricey.

One key attraction is quick setting. This is particularly useful in the entirely hypothetical situation where you find yourself having to tack your boat full of children down a narrow channel and you run aground. Due to a wind shift, obviously. Hurling an anchor and 8m of chain over the side doesn’t go very far, so an anchor that bites fast is a great asset when hauling your vessel free…
BR20 Gunter-rigged

Julian Merson

« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2023, 11:22 »
I have no experience of the BR, but my BC20 uses a Rocna 6 with 10m of 6mm chain and a further 25m of anchor plait.  This was originally purchased for my Drascombe Coaster.  On both boats it has served me well for a good 10 years over here on the east coast with its thick mud.  It also transferred well to other locations, such as the south west.

The upsides of this are extremely secure and reliable holding - which is even more important since I spend many nights at anchor each year -  mostly manageable retrieval - when it gets stuck, it is usually sufficient to use my weight to rock the boat so that it can act as a lever to yank the anchor clear.

The potential downsides are that it isn’t easy to stow.  On both boats, the bow has a sufficiently substantial pulpit area to leave it lying on a mat on the deck where it usually stays put.  I'm in the process of modifying the port side anchor locker so it will more readily accept the rode, but it isn't big enough for the anchor.

If anything, I'd say it was slightly over-sized for the coaster, but just about right for the BC.  If I had a BR, I'd be considering a Rocna 4 with a good length of chain.  I think the chain length is probably just as, if not more important than the anchor size.

Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

MarkF

« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2023, 23:09 »
Agreed about using enough chain.  And allowing a long enough rode.

A Rocna 4kg was my original choice, but it’s rated for boats of < 500kg. Fine for lunch stops, but with ballast and people, I prefer the idea of a slightly oversized anchor, esp at night.

It seems the Rocha 6, Spade 5.5 and Manson Supreme 7kg are fairly equivalent for most conditions.
BR20 Gunter-rigged