Author Topic: leaving mizzen up  (Read 2047 times)

Mark Henderson

leaving mizzen up
« on: 15 Jul 2023, 11:47 »
Is it safe to leave the mizzen mast up with the sail furled on a swinging mooring?

Sea Simon

Re: leaving mizzen up
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2023, 13:05 »
It will be ok if short term. Furled tight n neat. Then well tied off n several places up n down the sail.
You might want to tie off the mizzen mast with some "shrouds" if it gets rolly. So as to limit the mast waving about alarmingly.

Anymore than the odd day, make sure you have a UV strip on the sail...and its furled so that the UV strip is on outside!

My BRe mizzen when on mooring, always came down and went underneath overall cockpit cover. It will stow in one piece, with just the mast foot sticking out.
I used to cover both ends of mizzen with breathable shoe bags (and the outboard end of the boom too, for that matter) as they ar3 JUST under the overall cover.

You don't want your sails to end up like the attached apparently unloved BRe seen on the pontoons in Mylor last eve.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Mark Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2023, 13:45 »
Many thanks!

tcave

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2023, 16:36 »
My mizzen was once blown down in a storm when left on a swinging mooring. Needed a new mast (windsurfer mast fits) so not too expensive. Now I store with lower end poking out of the rudder hole and top lashed to the winch. All with a nice cover over mast, sail and boom.