Author Topic: Stack pack on a swinging mooring  (Read 2201 times)

Mark Henderson

Stack pack on a swinging mooring
« on: 15 Jul 2023, 13:50 »
And...would you leave the stack pack on the boom when on a swinging mooring in force 6+ winds? A bit of a hassle to take it down especially stowing the battens.

Sea Simon

Re: Stack pack on a swinging mooring
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2023, 21:44 »
Sorry, me again...Still WAY too much time on my hands...

Never had a stack pack on BRe, but conventional sail cover.

I had a soft sail tube/cover made up that went over top of whole thing, once disconnected from mast.

I used to have a couple of trips a year away maybe 6/7 weeks ? (work_holiday_work) boat on mooring as a bit of a faff to pull out and get in the field at home. Often meant loosing a couple of potential  trips out on the days b4/after travelling.

I'd  fit the sail/boom  tubular cover, take the whole unit off the mast, including boom, kicker etc and stow it in cabin via a cut away lower washboard, together with mizzen on mast. If v early/late in season, sometimes I'd take the furled jib off too if fretting about gales.

Whole lot under an all-over cockpit cover. Clean, dry, no UV. No risk of rodents!

That way only needed a pal to keep an eye to waterline (flooding) and chafe on mooring bridle.
Otherwise BRe with mooring cover, furled jib, and sails on has a LOT  of windage.
 Once saw a fully rigged (with all sails hoisted and furled) partially flooded D lugger closeby blown over on to her beam ends and sunk in heavy wind over tide conditions.

...worked for me!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

David Moss

« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2023, 22:33 »
We have a stack pack and have had no issues with it in stronger winds.  We use a swinging mooring, leave the boat with its cockpit cover and windage is acceptable. Removing it would seem unnecessary and a faff.  Very impressed with the stack pack.

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 02 Aug 2023, 10:51 »
Wind is one thing, wind over tide much worse. Boats get pushed beam on.

My swinging mooring sees big spring tides (max 5.8 m predictions, Occasionally  over 6m, plus rain off the moor) and has a long N_S fetch; this was when the boat was vulnerable.

Well sheleterd in W/SW (as per today, where just over the hill there is currently >30, gusting >40 mph) there is no problem here.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.