Author Topic: Correct set up of asymmetric spinnaker  (Read 2284 times)

Rudolf M. Bleser

Correct set up of asymmetric spinnaker
« on: 14 Aug 2023, 10:59 »
We would like to ask a question re the asymmetric spinnaker for the BRE if we may. Jibbing with it is not as smooth as we would hope.

We compared our set up to the one shown in the Swallow Yacht spinnaker video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbIxqDOs4k). The BRE in the video does not seem to have a forestay in contrast to our BRE.

In the screenshot taken from the video I circled in red around the hock which seems to be without an attached forestay. I also drew a green line to show where the forestay runs at our BRE. Our set up is shown in the second photo; we make fast the "tack" end of the spinnaker to the foremost hock.

Our set up with the forestay reduces the space of the spinnaker for jibbing. Also the slack sheets of the spinnaker often get stuck at the forestay when jibbing, whereas the closed foresail would offer less resistance if there was not forestay and the slack sheets of the spinnaker ran around the closed foresail.

We are therefore wondering whether we can sail without the forestay (using only the foresail as a means to hold the mast)? Is there anything else we can do to jib smoothly with the spinnaker?

Thanks a lot in advance.

garethrow

Re: Correct set up of asymmetric spinnaker
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2023, 19:41 »
Rudolf
I have a BR20 but with the BRE rig and experimented a bit last year with asymmetric spinaker set up as, like you, I was finding too much friction when tacking or gybing the sail between the forestay and leading edge of the sail. I tried running the sheets round the front of the sail - so not having to pull it throgh the gap between the forestay. I expected to run into trouble withe sheets dropping in to the water over the front of the bow sprit but so far this hasn't happened with a bit of careful sheet managment. If it does, I am thinking of some sort of Stainlesee steel wire hoop out the front of the bowsprit to catch falling sheets.  It is cetainly easier to pull the sail around the front rather than through the gap. I haven't tried this year - mainly becasuese its been too windy to need the spinnaker! Removing the forestay would also help but I am not in favour of this as it means you can't drop the jib if you need to (without the mast coming down!). Hope this helps

Gareth Rowlands
grp BR20 Halen Y Mor

johnguy

Re: Correct set up of asymmetric spinnaker
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2023, 13:33 »
I unclip the forestay of my BRe and clip it to the shroud on one side before racing and before going out when planning to use asymmetric. I also use some little bits of elastic with a clip each side of the boat amidships to support the trailing sheets, which otherwise get caught under the boat. But whatever you do, the asymmetric is never an easy beast, just needs practice and a crew who do not mind bad language.