Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

BayCruiser 21

<< < (2/4) > >>

Graham W:
Undoubtedly >the BRe, <the BC23 and more than I can afford!

Nigel Baker:
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I made the long journey up from the Fal to Gwbert to sail the new BC21. Myself and another prospective owner arrived at the yard at 8.30 with many layers on as it was below zero and blowing an easterly, which quickly gathered in strength. To begin with we sailed with full rig up, no reefs and no ballast. The other prospective owner came from a dinghy background - I had a Crabber 22 which I sold in July - and seemed determined to capsize us. He failed! Eventually after Matt had dropped a few hints a reef was taken in and water ballast added and the ride became much more comfortable, and something my wife could live with. The boat did sail very well indeed. The cockpit is enormous, certainly as large as in the Crabber 22, and the cabin - which was not yet fitted out - is larger than on the BRE, and has a footwell, and access is easier than on the BRE. The main things that stopped me buying a BRE was the very poor access to the foredeck, the lack of an anchor well and the many moans I have read about anchoring and mooring. These have been solved, there are now proper side decks which allow access (and SS rails on the coach roof to hold on to), there is a proper foredeck well with an anchor locker and though there was no samson post/bollard on the test boat I understand one will be fitted. The other prospective owner and myself placed orders so it was a very successful morning for all concerned. It was only next day when we visited the yard again to finalise matters that we learned that this was only the third time the boat had been sailed, and the first time with anyone but Matt onboard. He must have been a little nervous but he didn't show it.  We look forward to delivery in May.

Jonathan Stuart:
Sounds very positive, thanks for sharing that update.

Sea Simon:
Good news. Thanks for updating us.

May delivery, ideal for the Swallow meet at Mylor in July 2024?

Nigel Baker:
Perhaps I could do a "sail past"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version