Author Topic: Righting a fully inverted bayraider  (Read 12266 times)

Peter Cockerton

Righting a fully inverted bayraider
« on: 25 Aug 2010, 19:40 »
Can i ask if anyone has experience on a small matter which is nagging at me, having watched the video which Matt produced it shows i think someone swimming under the craft to raise the centreboard. Not normal i guess because in most circumstances the centre board would be locked in the down position whilst sailing anyway. What i was wondering is if the centrboard was in the raised position or if it fell back in the raised position on inversion could it be teased out without entering the inverted boat. Would some kind of grab notch/cord/any other idea on the bottom of the centreboard be worth considering which is aaccessable from the inverted hull.
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Craic

Re: Righting a fully inverted bayraider
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2010, 20:51 »
Hi Peter,
sorry, we seem to meet you on the wrong foot every time. :

It IS standard for the centreboard not to be locked in the down position, and it IS already standard that the centreboard has a notch on the leading edge so it can be retrieved back up from it's case from the outside without diving under the cockpit.
C.

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2010, 23:08 »
Claus

I hope never to be in the position of righting my "Joybells" from full inversion but with the knowledge that the centreboard can be grasped from within it's slot is welcome. On the subject of the centreboard not being in the locked position whilst sailing "Joybells" is yard fitted with one of those break type cleats that will snap open if it comes under undue strain, so i use that. It sounds like you leave your uncleated.

Don't worry about wrong footing me i'm only to pleased to learn without pain, and i'm sure other forum readers are also benefiting from our virtual conversations.

Speak to you soon

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Simon Knight

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:26 »
Peter,

I suspect that the majority of capsizes occur near the shore where the wind is more variable, so the bigger problem will be getting the end of mast out of the mud.

But for what its worth my BR has both an up and down hauls on the CB.

Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Craic

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:41 »
It sounds like you leave your uncleated.

Nope.: http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,52/expv,0/topic,87.0 .
I just said that the centreboard downhaul wasn't standard.

And BTW I also cut off the retrieval notch in the leading edge of the centreboard in order to put a brass protector there instead. http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,52/expv,0/topic,255.0