Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Electrics

(1/3) > >>

TheOldDuffer:
I left the battery charging overnight with the installed battery charger, but the solar charger panel says the battery is only putting out 8V and the battery symbol is empty and flashing. Unfortunately, I’ve mislaid the manuals for the charger panel and and battery charger, but it seems that the battery is dead - maybe discharged too long over the winter?

Can anyone tell me the make and model No.s of the charger panel and battery charger so that I might download the manuals? Also, if the battery needs to be replaced, anyone know the make and model of the battery?

Edit: I think the charge controller is a MPPT Epever Tracer1206A. The flashing empty battery icon says the battery is discharged. Unless I'm not using the 220V mains charger correctly....

Edit2: I think the charger is a CTEK MXS 5.0. Downloaded the manual, heading back to the boat yard!

TheOldDuffer:
Put a meter on the battery and got 14.7V. Not sure why the charge controller is saying the battery is empty

Graham W:
You can download a manual from the Epever website here https://www.epever.com/product/tracer-an-10-40a-mppt-charge-controller/.  It has a troubleshooting section.

I think that I would trust the reading from a multimeter over that from the MPPT controller, especially if you get the same reading from someone else's multimeter, if you manage to borrow one.

TheOldDuffer:
Found the manuals. The charger is a CTEK mxs 3.8

Andy Stobbart:
I am not sure if you are having the same issue as me with a 12v battery not charging?
I recently handed in for recycling what was in all likelihood a perfectly good (refurbished) deep cycle battery and bought a brand new one at great expense because the original wouldn’t charge, only to find, when the new one also wouldn’t charge, that what I actually had was a broken $20 trickle charger!
I think I must have knackered its electronics by either connecting the charger to the wrong terminals or failing to switch it to the correct mode (LiFePo4/Lead Acid) but either way I was very peeved and wasted a lot of money.
To add insult to injury I then had another charger failure with the replacement $20 trickle charger I bought - probably for the same reason - so I ended up buying a more sophisticated charger that should not crap out if I screw up again 🤞.
…we live and some of us learn quickly while others learn more slowly! 😬

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version