Author Topic: Interest in Bayraider at Rutland Water  (Read 18367 times)

Peter Cockerton

Interest in Bayraider at Rutland Water
« on: 28 Aug 2010, 21:40 »
Quick note to say expect some calls Matt from people i met at Rutland Waters today, they were most impressed by "Joybells" (Bayraider) and we left several boats in our wake even with full tanks, i had all the "washing up" in gusts of 35 knotts and single handed (apart from Scooby the pointer). I was also most surprised to see another Bayraider on Rutland they were doing equally as well and playing "bowling" with windsurfers (only joking). To the other boat "I wasn't sure if you made your way up the "South finger" to get a bit closer for a possible shout" but conditions were a bit "hairy" anyway add a quick note here and we can meet up there sometime and really show the boats off.
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Alan Godber

Re: Interest in Bayraider at Rutland Water
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2010, 15:20 »
Hello Peter,

I wasn't out on the 28th August (was the Saturday before) but we keep our Bayraider (C-Moon) at Rutland Sailing Club round at Edith Weston on the South shore.  Sorry to have missed you as we haven't seen another Raider on the Water yet.

I know what you mean about interest though.  We haven't been able to launch, or even get the cover off yet without being approached by other members wanting to know what the boat is.  Very complimentary comments too.

Do you get to Rutland often?

Alan & Shirley

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2010, 16:51 »
Nice to hear from you Alan

I visit Rutland perhaps once a month and use the Whitwell facilities currently on "day launch" fees. I have kept previous boats there all year round but still thinking about next year for the Bayraider. I have just looked up the fees for your club on the south shore and they don't look to bad depending on how they rate the boat for the "Boat Fee" aspect, what cateogary do they put us in for Bayraiders do you know. Not sure when i'm going again i prefer mid week as it's much quieter, although this Sunday look promising.

PS The admirers of the Bayraider can keep coming i'm just glad i'm fortunate enough to have one. It does put pressure on making sure you get her on and off the pontoon and sail effortlesly away though.

Look forward to meeting at Rutland sometime

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Andy Dingle

« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2010, 18:49 »
Hi

I too have been sailing my Bayraider (No. 12) 'Psalter' at Rutland (Whitwell side) when I can't get out to sea. I think I probably was the first one there, as I took possession in August 2008. As you guys say, we are inevitably inundated with people admiring her and asking where I got her from! Very flattering indeed. Though I agree it certainly puts the pressure on getting in and out of the creek there with so many people watching!
I have even been waved down by a guy driving behind me towing my BR back home to ask me what sort of boat she was and who made her!

Would love to meet up with other Bayriaders on Rutland maybe during the winter?

Hope to see other Bayraiders there soon

Regards  Andy

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #4 on: 04 Oct 2010, 11:34 »
Andy

I have now heard from Alan Godber and yourself with respect to Rutland water sailing, it would be great to have all three boats together one day, i can sail in the week when it's not busy how about you guy's.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Andy Dingle

« Reply #5 on: 05 Oct 2010, 19:09 »
Nice to hear from you Peter.

I agree it would be great for a few of us to meet up for a joint sail.
I can sometimes make mid weeks - I know what you mean, I made the mistake of trying to launch one bank holiday monday, total chaos!

I work abroad a lot so have time off when I get back home. I live in Lincolnshire, near the coast so am about an hour or so away.
If you know can send me a 'PM' I can give you my phone number?

Andy

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #6 on: 05 Oct 2010, 21:09 »
Andy

Email me on support@b-c-s.it and we can take this off the forum.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Matthew P

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2011, 12:08 »
Hello Peter

I have just read your blog and think it may have been my Bayraider "Gladys" at Rutland in August on 10th and 11th when it was quite windy, I am impressed you were out solo.  I am based in Chester so we were visitors and launched from the sailing club. 

Matthew

Quick note to say expect some calls Matt from people i met at Rutland Waters today, they were most impressed by "Joybells" (Bayraider) and we left several boats in our wake even with full tanks, i had all the "washing up" in gusts of 35 knotts and single handed (apart from Scooby the pointer). I was also most surprised to see another Bayraider on Rutland they were doing equally as well and playing "bowling" with windsurfers (only joking). To the other boat "I wasn't sure if you made your way up the "South finger" to get a bit closer for a possible shout" but conditions were a bit "hairy" anyway add a quick note here and we can meet up there sometime and really show the boats off.
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Colin Morley

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2011, 15:49 »
I live in Cambridge and would be interested in joining with some other BayRaider owners for a sail on Rutland water. If you are interested may be best to email me at colin@morleys.net

Colin
Colin
BR James Caird

Simon Knight

« Reply #9 on: 04 Aug 2011, 17:46 »
Hi,

I know that this an old thread but I would be interested in meeting other Swallow Boats at Rutland some time in the future.  I'm based in North Lincolnshire about a 100 minutes drive from Rutland.
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Andy Dingle

« Reply #10 on: 09 Aug 2011, 10:31 »
HI Simon.

Interested to see you are in Lincolnshire too, I am down near Louth - Alford area and occasionally go to Rutland with my BR20.
Where abouts do you normally sail? I have recently joined the club at Saltfleetby (just north of Mablethorpe) which is quite a nice little club with a reasonable slip.
If you (or anyone else?) is planning to go to Rutland please feel free to email me on ketchpsalter@gmail.com.

Cheers

Andy

jonno

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2011, 23:58 »
Hullo

We intend to take our BR20 to Rutland Water on Saturday/Sunday 20th/21st August,using the Rutland Sailing Club and the adjacent Rutland Water Campsite.  If any other Swallowers(?) are able to get there (so I can pick your brains), that would be grand.

John

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2012, 09:01 »
Several members have expressed interest in getting together at Rutland Water

Alan Godber
Andy Dingle
Mathew P
Colin Morley
Jonno

I'm taking my bayraider to the Anglian Water centre on Saterday 24/3/12 with the intention of storing her their for the season and hopefully reguler sailing. It would be informative and beneficial to meet like Swallow Boat owners to share ideas and experience ( imagine the interest we will get from a group of Swallow Boats one is enough to attract all passers by). Perhaps we could join forces for Raid entries/trips to Poole etc and share the associated costs. The wife does sail when the weather is "just right" so often i'm single handed. I have some direct email addrsses for above members which have previously registered an interest but if you are not in the above list please let me know.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Andy Dingle

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:30 »
Thanks Peter.

As per my email I would be interested in meeting up with a group at Rutland, it's a great venue for a good sail without worrying about tides.
Do you still have your shared calendar running?

Do we know what the water level is like there?, they keep telling us that water levels are low and we are heading for a hose-pipe ban.

Andy

"Psalter"

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2012, 13:10 »
Andy

Calender can still be used, also i'm sure Jonathon will provide an association feature to take over from this very soon.

Water level from what i can gather of the internet is around 70%, with us only needing several inches to float we can get out of the creek ok. As you know the main body of water is huge so plent hopefully to sail in. Will update if any different when i come back on Saturday.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone else, also calender access until association site up and running can be made available if you let me know.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig