Author Topic: Topping lift  (Read 174 times)

Jane Reed

Topping lift
« on: 10 May 2024, 09:37 »
Good morning
Id like to rig a topping lift on a carbon mast on my BRE . I’d prefer to use local technicians however they would need specific information/guidance . I’ve asked Swallow Yachts for help they have offered to do it but Im not prepared to tow from West Scotland. Your help would be very much appreciated . The next alternative will be to find a rigger with experience of working with carbon masts .

PeterDT

Re: Topping lift
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2024, 10:05 »
Hello Jane,
Rigging the topping lift is quite easy. I will send you details of my boat in the course of today/this weekend.
BR
Peter

PeterDT

Re: Topping lift
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2024, 16:44 »
The photo's show the deck layout and the mast head. The blue line is the Dyneema 4 mm topping lift halyard. The blocks are small blocks with ball bearings.
Something like this https://www.harken.com/en/shop/micro/22-mm-block/
I was assuming you have a jib boom., but looking at photo's from the newer BRe's i see some with a mainsail boom lift. My boat is one of the earlier BRE's (nr. 7).
But for the main sail boom it would be similar, with the line going to the aft end of the boom. It needs to be slackened when sailing, so it won't obstruct the mainsail shape.
This is the simple version, may you have something more sophisticated in mind. May be the Forum readers with a recent BRe can post some photo's.
BR
Peter