Author Topic: Outboard well lamellae detail?  (Read 330 times)

MrBarnstormer

Outboard well lamellae detail?
« on: 17 Apr 2024, 16:24 »
Hi all,

An interloper here, I sail a Shrimper (ouch!) but recently enjoyed a fabulous day sailing with Devon/California Bay Raider 20 sailer Mark Darley out in Marin County.

I admired the outboard well fairing lamellae system and hope to arrange similar system for the gaping hole in my Shrimer outboard well. Mark’s now in transit back to the U.K. so can’t answer my follow up questions for a while. Perhaps someone can help please?

I understand the material is a double lamination of 75mm wide Hawk Slit Strip perhaps bonded with Sikaflex to hold the two layers of the fingers together.

I noted the flaps are framed and secured outside of the boat for full and free deployment of the outboard, I’m hoping to arrange similar frames inside the well (easier to fit and making extraction easier than deployment).

I was wondering if anyone can advise the overlap of the flaps which from memory is about 1/2inch or 20mm? I’m not sure the floating corners are radiused on their outer trailing tip, just cut at a right angle? Therefore prone to tip damage perhaps?

Any thoughts or advice on the system would be most appreciated.

Dimensioned well photo attached.

Many thanks,

Mark

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Outboard well lamellae detail?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2024, 18:21 »
Mark,

When relatively new, the lamellae work quite well but after a few years of use they tend to degrade.  Quite a few owners have replaced theirs with various types of removable infills, as discussed and illustrated in this thread https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,843.0.html.  The very last post in the thread has a pdf attached which shows pristine-looking lamellae and which may help you with your quest.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III