Author Topic: Flooding locker  (Read 638 times)

Anyone can uk

Flooding locker
« on: 25 Apr 2024, 20:03 »
My 8 year old BRE keep taking on water in the locker. Despite having a mooring cover.

This time there was so much that there would have been less had I not sealed off the fuel pipe port. 

I’m thinking a hull-deck joint problem any other thoughts?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Flooding locker
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2024, 11:23 »
You imply that water is getting into the locker when you are not using the boat and it is under cover, which is puzzling.  Slightly related, I had thought that my problem with water getting into my starboard forward buoyancy tank was due to a possible hull-deck joint issue but it turned out not to be the case.  The GRP chap that investigated it decided that it wasn't at all likely for that to happen and that the problem arose from leaking fittings - in my case a large foredeck bullhorn cleat used for mooring and to a lesser extent the starboard chainplate.  Both now fixed.

There's a useful thread on water getting into the lockers when the boat is in use and what to do about it https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,414.0.html.  Simon Knight's enthralling lockercam video on Youtube is still live!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utx5lk57TU8
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

Re: Flooding locker - BRe cockpit side locker?
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2024, 08:31 »
Assuming that you have leaks into the side locker? It's  not clear to me.

If you are feeling brave (stupid?) It is possible to climb into these lockers and lie down inside (at least at 5ft 8 1/2" tall, it is!)
I've done it, to fit new midships cleats. Your Deck fittings could be leaking, especially if they've been worked hard.

Swallow Matt has done it, and it's captured on one of his Utube vids about the BRe. Amusing!

Added. On "Swallow Yachts Bay Raider Exped walkaround" at min 30s.
https://youtu.be/fVNUU8eDmGE?si=ZrHxJobNQolRdW9p

Suggest getting a responsible adult (maybe not the beneficiary of your life insurance?) To then hose down the exterior?

Alternatively,  commercial devices are available (ultrasound emitters, I  believe?) That enable leaks to be traced without adding more water. Good for cars, and spaces containing cargo/equipment which absolutely cannot be wetted.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

RogerLennard

Re: Flooding locker
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:51 »
For a less brave option than Sea Simon's, you could set up your phone inside the locker and use its video function.