Author Topic: BR20 Side decks  (Read 11294 times)

Colin Lawson

BR20 Side decks
« on: 09 Mar 2011, 00:51 »
Looking at photos of the BR20 it seems that the width and shape of the side decks varies - I presume this is because of a difference between GRP and Epoxy ply construction, the grp looking as if the side decks are narrower and without a lip on the inside.  If this is the case can anyone tell me whether hiking out on the grp version is a problem, comfort wise?

Thanks in advance,

Colin Lawson
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

David

Re: BR20 Side decks
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:39 »
Hi Colin

I picked up my BR20 in October last year and its a great boat to sail. I have the Epoxy ply built by Denman Marine in Tasmania and he has done a lovely job. I do a lot of solo sailing and often sit out on the side decks especially if I don't have the water ballast in. The side deck is plenty wide enough but I have the inner lip that is quite narrow and is about an inch high. I find this quite uncomfortable and if I didn't have such a well built timber boat I would think about how to remove it. It cuts into my legs when hiking out but the bigger problem is when I push the boat off from the shore I quickly jump up to land on the side deck but often land right on the lip and one sailing session came back with the top of my thighs black and blue. I am looking into putting some hard foam between the rubbing stake the lip so its the same height, I don't want to permanently fix it to the deck but need a way to secure it

Regards
David
Little Ripple
Australia

Craic

Re: BR20 Side decks
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2011, 10:46 »
... can anyone tell me whether hiking out on the grp version is a problem, comfort wise?

Colin,
we do that a lot, very comfortably, no problem at all.