Author Topic: Bilge pump  (Read 21292 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Bilge pump
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2011, 11:17 »
Thanks for the advice Claus.  I may give it a go!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2011, 19:27 »
Colin, through the wonders of modern technology, here is another photo taken minutes ago by my wife while I am 1,000 km away.  It shows my Urchin installation and the three new bungs from directly above.  The non-functioning Super Mini can just be seen under the sail in the edge of shot on the right.

Claus, the Super Mini seems to be about 30cm from the centre line, which may not give me enough space to install a Mini on the outside of it.  My other option might be to remove it and replace it with a "New Large".  Like the Mini, this is externally mounted (and therefore presumably has the same advantages). The required hole is the same width as that for the Super Mini, but I would need to lengthen it by 20mm.
Graham

Craic

« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2011, 09:40 »
Claus, the Super Mini seems to be about 30cm from the centre line, which may not give me enough space to install a Mini on the outside of it.  My other option might be to remove it and replace it with a "New Large".  Like the Mini, this is externally mounted (and therefore presumably has the same advantages). The required hole is the same width as that for the Super Mini, but I would need to lengthen it by 20mm.

Graham,
I cannot recommend using any other selfbailer than the Andersen 'Mini'. Do not assume any bigger size bailer for outside mounting will automatically have the same efficiency as the 'Mini'. I actually tried a 'New Large' inside the tank and was disappointed.
I recommend you leave the 'Super Mini' in, but as a first step fit one additional 'Mini' on Portside, as per the photo below. You can then compare the sucking of the two and decide whether you want to throw out the Super Mini and swap that for another Mini.
Funny the three little bungs sitting close to each other in the rear tank wall. Why did you do that? There should be one 1" diameter bung on the centreline and two smaller ones on each side, as far out as possible, as per the photo below.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2011, 15:31 »
Claus

Good idea on the single self bailer for the time being; and good question on the positioning of the bungs.  I will see how I get on with the latter and if they prove inadequate, I may well end up with five holes instead of three!
Graham

Craic

« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2011, 18:45 »
Claus

Good idea on the single self bailer for the time being; and good question on the positioning of the bungs.  I will see how I get on with the latter and if they prove inadequate, I may well end up with five holes instead of three!

Graham,
if you will not have the side bungs, you will not reap the full benefit of this modification. Without the side bungs the emptying process will take much longer, and the tank will not empty under sail more than 80%. Been there myself.