Author Topic: Useful item for BR campers  (Read 10955 times)

David

Useful item for BR campers
« on: 12 Jun 2011, 13:06 »
I have been slowly organising my food for a 3 week BR camping trip and one very useful item I bought a few years ago, mainly for mult-day hiking was a food dehydrator. Its very easy to put the left overs from an evening meal EG spaghetti Bolognaise and dehydrate to it weighs next to nothing and it will keep for 4-6 weeks with no refrigeration. I have a vacum sealer as well and then put it in the freezer where it keeps for months. This way I can start getting my evening meals together well in advance. It is most suited to mince type dishes unless you cut any meat very small. Spaghetti Bolognaise is one that seems to work very well and rehydrates nicely. The saving in weight means more important items can be added such as some red wine to go with it.

cheers
David
Little Ripple

Julian Swindell

Re: Useful item for BR campers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2011, 20:40 »
I've been experimenting with cous cous. You just have to pour boiling water over it and wait five minutes. No boiling up in a saucepan.
Have you been dehydrating the spaghetti too, or just the sauce? Another range of prepared meals I have been using for the last two years are called "Look what we found" which includes chilli, bolognese and various stews in a sealed envelope. The chili is really good, the others OK. They pack easily and there is just an empty bag left over.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2011, 21:23 »
I have been trying the Look What We Found range as well and agree on the chili.  I also have some Hotbox self heating meals for when I am feeling extremely idle but have yet to tuck in to these.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2011, 22:34 »
This is a possible opportunity for me to plug my invention. For some reason I am having difficulty in getting people to take it seriously. I suggest its potential, not least for boat camping, is immense.

It's - dehydrated water. It weighs virtually nothing, takes up no space (apart from the compact packaging), and is extremely easy to reconstitute - you simply add water and it is ready for immediate use.

I just need about £200k for some straightforward commercial development. Contact me if you're interested.

(Patent and application to appear on the The Dragons' Den pending.)

David

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2011, 07:50 »
Have you been dehydrating the spaghetti too, or just the sauce?

Yes I mix it all in together and then to rehydrate it I just add water and boil for a few minutes then let stand for 10. There are a number of backpacking meals in packets you can by but they are very expensive. The supermarket has a range of packets as well but they are usually just pastra dishes.

regards
David
Little Ripple