Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Masthead halyard blocks

<< < (2/2)

Graham W:
I am now considering having, in the distant future, the option of two different foresails and the spinnaker hanked on to an extended jib boom.  So I have gone for an Aussie treble with becket. The second bigger foresail would be conventionally sheeted and its luff wire could also act as reinforcements (in ways that I have not yet determined) when changing sails and/or in heavy weather.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

Graham W:
My Aussie (Ronstan) blocks have arrived and I have installed them.  They make it very much easier to raise the mast past 45 degrees and to tension the forestay.  Lowering the mast is also a lot more controlled.  The existing halyard is just about long enough to cope with the extra journey through the blocks. And the spinnaker halyard has a clear run. In short, worth doing.

Simon Knight:
Does anyone else have the problem where the force on the jib/mast hayard forces the block against the mast adding friction to the spinnaker halyard.  Looking at photo and comparing it with my carbon mast it looks as if my forestay tang is to short.

best wishes
Simon

Simon Knight:
By bending the tang up and adding an extension I have managed to move the fiddle block away from the mast  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version