Author Topic: DSC VHF Standard Horizon Handheld (Getting ready for salty stuff)  (Read 11485 times)

Peter Cockerton

Thought i would mention this if anyone is looking for a VHF handheld as i wanted to consider a DSC bit of kit but having spoken to a couple of chandlers i was wrongly informed that a DSC handheld was not available. Standard Horizon HX851E for around £225.00 including vat. It also provides ATIS functions for inland waterways in Europe. I have the kit now and it seems very easy to use for basic functions. Built in GPS, it floats, glow ring to aid night location, strobe light when immersed in water, one button emergency DSC call.
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Julian Swindell

How do you register a mobile DSC set? I thought the registration went with the boat, which is tricky with a handheld unit.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Peter Cockerton

Hi Julian

The license is in an individuals name with no alloctaed vessel. The application is made online to Ofcom and takes minutes to complete. The license issues an MMSI number for the portable device which you must enter into the radio unit before it allows DSC functionality. You also get a T number which is applicable only for a ship potable radio license.

I was surpised that they didn't ask for my Certificate of Competence license number which i took many years ago as part of my Day Skipper theory, but i think it is suggested in the notes that it would be usefull.

All the best

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Andy Dingle

Hi all.

Just to point out, in case you werent aware. That the old VHF certificate is not valid for operation of DSC radios. A Short Range Certificate is now required by law for operation of all DSC sets. Whether handheld or fixed.

RYA website has all the details. Courses to get the cert average about £80 - £100 for the day I think - though I managed to blag my way to get my job to cough up for it...!

I use a fixed DSC set on my big boat, and I too wanted to get a handheld set for my Bayraider but was told that handhelds were not available in this country yet.. Will certainly look out for this one.

Regards

Andy - BR12 Psalter

Peter Cockerton

Andy

Thanks for license info, will look to schedule the course in some time, i promise not to use the DSC emergency feature until licensed, honest.

All the best Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Tony

Hi, Peter.

Thanks for drawing attention to this set. (http://www.standardhorizon.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=100018)
Ive had my eye on one of these for some time, hoping competition will bring the price down. (Seems its still the only hand held DSC set on the UK market.)
The main attraction for me is the MOB aspect of DSC. With this set on your lifejacket taking an unwanted dip might be less terminal.Just hit the emergency button and your ID and position are squawked as far as 6w at sea level will carry. Also useful - on a lower level of desirability - is the "speed dial" feature of DSC er..assuming your mates are similarly equipped,that is.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
A new Icom handheld DSC is supposed to be coming out in a couple of months http://www.piplers.co.uk/5092/Icom-IC-M91D-WATERPROOF-HAND-HELD-VHF-RADIO-WITH-DSC.html?referrer=froogle+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid5092
So far, it looks very expensive compared to the RRP of the Standard Horizon version.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III