Author Topic: Flying jib  (Read 15835 times)

John E

Re: Flying jib
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2020, 18:51 »
Graham

Many thanks,

The Bow sprit was winter 2018 project, which took 2 attempts but is very easy to fit, one bolt and a lower tensioning line which is clipped into the winch point on the bow
I have e.mailed Laura in the office and I am waiting a response

John E
BR20
Wind Lass

TimLM

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2020, 08:29 »
Good morning John, sorry I'm late to your post been busy making visors. You might have seen my BRe it's the gaff rigged cutter ketch. I had my sails designed and built be a friend who works for Moat sails, so I have also been down the road of Jib and "Flying Jib". Only I have mine from new and on my own bowsprit, so not quite the same. However my jib/staysail combination on a reach is very powerful. The original thought was for progressive reduction of sail area as I mostly single hand as a consequence having a highly efficient furling system was essential. So I bit the bullet and bought Harken and doubled the Halyard and fitted Dyneema. The result I can point very close to the wind at 5 knots and in a blow like other Raiders drop the main and continue. My high cut jib, remarkably similar to Graham's is 3.55sq.m. with the sheets leading back to the same cutout the mizzen sheets are fed to. If Matt cannot help you I'm sure Moat sails can build you one in White. My Bowsprit, just like yours is supported by a "Bob Stay" or "Dolphin Catcher" led to the same winch point.
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2020, 12:16 »
Tim,

That's a non-standard gaff-rigged mainsail, with an almost invisible cream-coloured topsail above.  I see from the clearer photo in your other post today that you've got a similar set up on the mizzen.  How do you find it?  There must be quite a lot of string!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III