Author Topic: BayRaider 20 sail trim  (Read 10059 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
BayRaider 20 sail trim
« on: 14 Jan 2012, 18:29 »
To fill in the dark and cold hours and as there is little about it in the boat manual, I thought I would try to codify sail trim for my BR20 (two pdf files attached). 

The usual elf n safety caveats apply, namely:
1.  I take no responsibility whatsoever and anyone foolhardy enough slavishly to follow these schedules does so at their own risk
2.  The schedules are draft and many of the opinions expressed therein have not been tested properly (or even at all) by me
3.  Quite a lot of the stuff only applies to my boat and others similarly modified

Nevertheless, I would welcome corrections, comments, additions.  The aim is eventually to produce an accurate and helpful set of pointers that can be used by any BR owner to get the most out of their boat. I shall be mother.

I shall stand by for a flood of replies from the experts.  I regret that Claus has gone walkabout as I am sure that he would have much to contribute.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

Re: BayRaider 20 sail trim
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2012, 14:16 »
Graham

Thanks, this is a very helpful piece of work; I look forward to using it in practice.  It would be great to have some photos to illustrate.

Matthew (Peacock)
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2012, 15:53 »
It would be great to have some photos to illustrate.

If I manage to get all three mainsail leech telltales streaming horizontally at the same time, I shall definitely post a picture in celebration.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2012, 17:06 »
Here, finally, is the picture of the streaming telltales posted in celebration.  And yes, the topping lift is too tight!
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2012, 15:37 »
Here's an update of the trim and telltale guides, this time for a plain vanilla BR20.

Anyone disagree with the contents of either?  Otherwise, they might go into the library in due course, alongside the manual which doesn't really deal with these topics.
Graham