Author Topic: Gennaker Specification and Suppliers  (Read 10706 times)

Matthew P

Gennaker Specification and Suppliers
« on: 25 Mar 2012, 22:58 »
Does anyone have any advice to offer on specifying a gennaker for a Bayraider 20?

Any good or bad experiences of suppliers?

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Jeff Curtis

Re: Gennaker Specification and Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2012, 21:51 »
I got mine direct from Jekylls with Matts blessing. Not cheap but well made and a good shape. Jekylls had the measurements but Im sure Matt will let you have them if you go elsewhere. As standard it came with various loops and rings for a retrieval cord. These may be useful if you use a chute in the foredeck but most of us just pull it back into the cockpit. You may save a few bob by asking your sail maker not to include these fittings.

Ive tried various double (violin) blocks for the halyards. You do need something strong as the jib halyard has to go on the lower and smaller sheave. I think the one I have on at the moment is a Lewmar. I dont feel that the Barton offering is up to the job as the supplied strip-shackle distorts and Ive seen a shattered sheave on another BayRaider.

Hope that is of some help. PS. Ive left out all the apostrophes on purpose to avoid rows of forward slashes. Its not because im a greengrocer.

Craic

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:30 »
Does anyone have any advice to offer on specifying a gennaker for a Bayraider 20? ...

Depends on your spi pole setup, old or new. The original carbon pole was too long and did not last in high crosswinds. It also had a lot of flex which gave the gennaker luff much play. I heard the pole was shortened last year, but if so, it would have changed the geometry, i.e. the pole tip would now be off the centreline to starboard.
With a shortened pole the original Jekylls measurements for the longer pole would not work.

I myself am not using the telescopic pole but instead a slightly longer and stronger jib clubboom to fly the gennaker. I had a gennaker made locally by http://www.clownsails.de/which was not expensive and worked out really well.
You can measure yourself and speak to any sailmaker. Or, if you have a sailmaker nearby, let him -her- measure. The sailmaker can advise on the ideal size and cut for you, taking your preferences and the prevailing wind conditions in your area into account.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2012, 08:25 »
I myself am not using the telescopic pole but instead a slightly longer and stronger jib clubboom to fly the gennaker.

I think Andrew Denman in Australia has used the new BR Expedition demountable bowsprit to fly a gennaker and/or flying jib.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Jeff Curtis

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2012, 21:21 »
I should have said that my boat is BR No. 4 so one of the originals with the long, whippy, tapering bowsprit. The pole does look different on the more recent boats I have seen, not so much taper (if any) so possibly much stiffer. Best to ask Matt methinks.