Author Topic: Main halyard attachment to Yard (2009 BR20)  (Read 18494 times)

Colin Lawson

Re: Main halyard attachment to Yard (2009 BR20)
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2012, 23:55 »
Colin,

My technique was to milk the outer sheath back from the Dyneema core, reduce the length of the core by about 10 to 15 cm and taper the reduced end of the core slightly for the distance that you will be seizing and whipping over it to the smaller diameter line (so that it is no bulkier than the original core).  Then pull the sheath back over the two attached ends and finish off by seizing and whipping the sheath to the smaller diameter line.

Graham

Thanks Graham, I tried your idea above and it works a treat on the original halyard. So I have the main halyard attachment to the yard sorted. (I will probably investigate replacing with a Dyneema alternative in the not too distant future).

I have also cut a hole for a new external / surface fitting Anderson mini self bailer and will epoxy the edges.  Do you also epoxy the bolt holes or just rely on the Sikkaflex to seal these?? I can see that it is going to be challenging to get the inside view of the self bailer looking as professional as the internally mounted version. I will have to practise using the Sikkaflex.

Colin
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2012, 06:53 »
I just used Sikkaflex from underneath, in the countersunk bolt holes and around the epoxied outer edge of the slot.  I found it impossible to secure the nuts (pushed up from underneath) and bolts without help from someone else sitting insIde the boat. Keep acetone and elephant bog roll handy for removing excess Sikkaflex.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2012, 17:28 »
Here is a photo of the pointy end of my main halyard.  I used heat shrink tubing to finish it off.
Graham

Colin Lawson

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2012, 16:49 »
Here is a photo of the pointy end of my main halyard.  I used heat shrink tubing to finish it off.

You've done a neat job there Graham. 

I tried out the new halyard attachment to Yard arrangement today - it works fine except that the hole I drilled in the yard to match the original arrangement is too low so I cannot haul the yard in close to the mast while the bottom of the main sail is in the track.  I need to raise the hole about 10cm for it to be opposite the halyard from the mast but this is at the upper extent of the window in the sail and so having the halyard attached at the optimum point for getting the yard close to the mast means that the down-haul on the luff of the sail will not tension the top segment of the sail. I have seen comments about this elsewhere but cannot find them now. To solve this I need a  a re-positioned window in the sail or a tack extension to allow for the sail to be about 10cm higher than at present.  Anyone else had this problem which I think has been solved on newer versions (mine is 2009).

Colin
Colin 

david

« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2012, 18:27 »
Hi Colin,
          I just ordered my bayraider and the luff pocket on the gunter was not an available option. Seems that only laced gunters are now available. Probably due to the kinds of issues you bring up here.

Regards,

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Colin Lawson

« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2012, 21:04 »
Have just got back from a wet and windy 9 days in Falmouth.  My new main halyard attachment worked well (hole drilled through yard plus figure of eight knot) and my Bayraider really sailed well in all conditions (I didn't bother to go out in the force 9 gale).

I am very pleased with my BayRaider.  However even though the new system holds the yard tight against the mast I still get the bottom of the yard twisting around the mast as in message #10 above this results in a non upright yard.  This does not seem to affect the BayRaider's sailing ability but I find the appearance annoying along with the flapping of the leach of the top of the mainsail presumably because of bend in the yard.   

Graham has already advised dyneema halyard as a solution and Claus has previously advised replacing the yard with a stiffer yard but could anyone tell me if this is worth the effort / expense or does the problem still exist after these modifications? Thanks,

Colin
Colin 

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2012, 08:45 »
could anyone tell me if this is worth the effort / expense or does the problem still exist after these modifications?

I now have a much stiffer yard and it has made a lot of difference to the set of the sail in strong breezes.  Have you experimented with the luff downhaul and mainsail outhaul?  Also, have a look at the lacing to the yard.  Mine has gone a bit saggy after Sail Caledonia and is probably going to be replaced.

If you do get a new yard, I suggest that you make your halyard attachment points slightly lower than with your current yard, thus hoisting the yard slightly higher.  You could compensate by replacing the downhaul track with a longer version.
Graham