Author Topic: Getting used to my storm15 - failed capsize attempt  (Read 12754 times)

Steve Joyce

Just had my first solo trip on my Storm15 "Robin" on Coniston water.

I spent a couple of hours going downwind after nearly an hour getting set up (where does the time go here). At the lower end of coniston it gets decidedly choppy so I decided to turn around and work my way back up. 

There wasnt a great deal of wind,  around 6mph but coupled with the waves I managed to dip the gunwale under taking on a substantial amount of Conistons finest.  Good time as any to practice my capsize drills I though but no,  stepping smartly over to starboard,  she came up again leaving about 10 inches of unintended water ballast in the cockpit.

Once on an even keel,  I got her bailed out ok mainly using a 5L water bottle with a hole in the bottom which proved much better than a bucket which was just too big for the little Storm,  so soon got her dry (unlike my sandwiches and floating banana).

Got a good turn on speed on the way back in between periods of complete calm.

I suppose Swallow owners must get used to the interest raised with their boats.  A small launch came out from the sailing club to investigate and Robin got very good compliments.

Getting back to the pier was a bit of a trial.  Just got lined up when the Coniston launch turned up.  On the next circuit it was the Gondolas turn, which sneaked up behind me so had to go round again.  What happened to steam giving way to sail?

All in all a pretty good 4 hours outing.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

Re: Getting used to my storm15 - failed capsize attempt
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2012, 16:31 »
Steve, sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Good to know she comes up againwithout any drama. I've been sanding the inside of mine all day and have decided enough is enough. Its getting painted as it is so I can get out sailing which Im sure is much more fun.

Clem

Steve Joyce

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2012, 17:31 »
Think thats about right Clem.  Its surprising how quickly the paint gets chipped and bashed about no matter how careful you are so I dont think its worth striving for too much perfection.  Have you got any up to date photos.  It sounds as if you are almost ready to go.  Pity the weather isnt.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2012, 14:52 »
Steve, will take some pics once Ive got the masking tape off and get it out of the garage. Hopefully will be ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Clem

Clem Freeman

« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2012, 14:33 »
Still in the garage but you can see where Im up to.

Steve Joyce

« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2012, 18:24 »
Looks like a nice job Clem.  Hope the weather picks up soon.  assuming you have job the mast and spars ready to go you should be on the water before too long now
Storm 15 "Robin"

Steve Joyce

« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2012, 18:35 »
that should be .. got the mast and spars ready....
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2012, 10:57 »
Mast and spars still to do. I really must sort out all the rubbish from the garage!

Steve Joyce

Re: Getting used to my storm15
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2012, 21:01 »
I know what you mean.  I found that when I started swearing because ..someone.. had moved what I wanted,  it was time to clean up.  I was tidying up the garage today but got distracted.  Ended up moving the main sheet bullseyes back a bit as I found the sheet got in the way at certain points.

I have also extended the main outhaul and modified the boom to mast so it can all stay in place and intact whilst the sail is furled.  Trying to clip the outhaul to the flapping main sail (there doesn't appear to be a direct upwind on Coniston), was difficult and impossible when alone, especially when the front of the boom pops out just as you are getting close.

Should be nice and sunny tomorrow but I have a cold so have been banned from going out.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2012, 12:35 »
Steve,

Fresh air would do you good.

Clem

Steve Joyce

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2012, 14:28 »
ha,  tried that.  Answer - go and mow the grass then.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2012, 15:19 »
Steve,

A couple more pictures. Just the masts to make and its ready to go.

Steve Joyce

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2012, 17:39 »
That look really good Clem.  I found a weekend was all it took to do the spars.  I like the rudder showing off your good tapering.  I did consider just varnishing mine but painted it instead.

It's interesting how similiar the 15 and 17 are,  and yet how different.   I think the 17 comes in about twice the weight.

Hope you get out soon.  Hardest thing is getting some good pics.  Most of mine of the floor,  looking over the gunwales,  looking up the mast etc, are pretty boring.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2012, 13:14 »
Steve,

Robin looks really nice. I did think about painting the rudder but found I didn't have enough primer undercoat left  and came over all mean and just oiled it instead. The 17 is probably bigger than I really need as most of my sailing will probably be singlehanded but I felt it would be better as most of the time I'll be sailing in tidal and coastal areas up the Essex coast and rivers.

Clem

Steve Joyce

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2012, 08:03 »
my initial leanings were towards the 17, (well a BR17 really but you have to start somewhere),  but I am very happy with the 15,  especially when I have to push it up the slope of my drive.

Given how close the water gets to gunwale of the 15 without really trying too hard,  I think you have made a wise choice.

I had that problem in trying to work out how much paint I needed.  I would have saved a lot if I had gone for the 2.5L tins in the first place.  I have enough left over for a repaint at some stage.

Look forward to seeing yours on the water.  Have you got a name yet or are you saving that for the launch?  My wife chose Robin,  after our 1st grandson.
Storm 15 "Robin"