BR17 build

Started by steve jones, 10 May 2012, 16:15

Previous topic - Next topic

steve jones

Mostly finished, but test sail completed, just a few none serious snags to iron out, then longer more intensive  trials at Cardiff Bay then Bala, if ok then SEAFARE Milford Haven.

Steve BR17 Nona Me

steve jones

WRONG PHOTO

STEVE BR17 NONA ME

Clem Freeman

Steve,

Looks good to me. I'll be at Seafair hopefully with my Storm 17. Would be good to meet up.

Clem

Anthony Huggett

Steve, 
    Congratulations on being the first home builder of the BR17. Mine is coming on slowly, but 5 weeks business travelling since Christmas haven't helped me to get much done.

Anthony

steve jones

Thanks Anthony,

I have just returned from a four day trial sail, on non tidal waters on lake Bala, all went well.

From my own point of view I prefer the mast to be a little longer, and Matt has come up with a simple solution to achieve this. I have two sets of reef points and a system of reefing which worked  I am usually  single handed  and prefer to be able to reef at sea. It took me about 4/5 minutes from stop to go, in a 10/15 knot wind.
The second reef dropped the sprit boom too low for my liking, and raking the mast forward ment I was inhibiting the fiddle block fitted  for my bowsprit. Hence the need for taller mast.

I do not know what stage you are at , but have incorporated a number of personal mods. to make life easier and can outline them  if you like, the added weight amounts to about 12kg but  I will use the boat as a cruiser not racer.
Might you be ready for SEAFAIR Milford Haven  23rd June for a week ?

I have also brought up the subject of sail numbers with Matt, he is in the throes of developing something and asked me to wait a while.

All the best ,

Steve

BR17  NONA ME

Anthony Huggett

No chance, i'm afraid. When I said turn her over, I meant I'm about to turn her upside down to glass the bottom.

Which brings me to ask: The build cradle looks as though the boat will fit on there upside-down, with the weight resting on the battens that support the seats, on the outer tips of the cradle supports. Can you confirm this? Or do I need to take the uprights off and sling a couple of stout planks for and aft?

Regards,

Anthony

Anthony Huggett

I'm sure the forum would benefit from hearing about your personal mods.
Do you have the assymmetric spinaker option?

steve jones

I did consider using the inverted build frame, with some timber at intervals to rest the gunwhale on, but in the end I opted for bulk timber on the floor. The inverted frame would, on reflextion, have given me more height.

I will coble together some of  the mods. at the stage I introduced them.

One of the changes was to make a bowsprit , to take enable a fore stay and possibly an outer jib, storm jib, or flying jib. The problem being I only have 2cm clearance when I fitted the fiddle block and set the mast up, even though I had raised the mast by 3cm. Another reason for a longer mast.

Regards

Steve

Anthony Huggett

I have a definitive reply from Swallowboats that the cradle is not designed to hold the boat upside down.

That said, it can't be very far away - the seat bearing battens against the hull are all in the same plane, as are the tops of the cradle supports 3 and onward. Shave an inch or so off the tips and it would be a snug fit, I'm sure.

I think I will try through-bolting wooden cross-members towards the tops of the frame to support the gunwhale - that should put the boat at a convenient height to work at (for my 6'2" anyhow). Given my small workspace I need her on wheels.