Author Topic: Sump Pump  (Read 20973 times)

Llafurio

Re: Sump Pump
« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2012, 08:48 »
... We ...have now hopefully found a supplier of a much larger 40mm diameter bung, imported from Australia.

Why not simply buy from the supplier in Italy I had found you in April 2010, www.osculati.com ? The 40mm bung is on page 299 of their english language catalogue.

Regarding the bailers. A long time ago Claus impressed on me the performance advantages of the smaller bailers compared to the larger ones we used at the time. So we switched to the smaller sort but I unfortunately did not appreciate the considerable difference he also detected between mini's with external mounting flange, and those with internal flange.
I find it hard to believe that there is any material difference between the two, if they were both mounted identically. So if there is a big difference, it must come down, as I think Colin suggested, to the smoothness of the hull around the perimeter of the bailer ... .

No. It's mainly the different geometry and size of their deflector plates which creates the suction. I was puzzled myself at first and put the two side by side on a table, in 2010.: The internally mounted "Super Mini" and the externally mounted "Mini" are really two very different products.

Lastly, the foam under the BR20 floor. ...The volume of foam equates to 70kg of water so with or without the foam, there is very little difference. So if yours is coming loose, you can either cut it up and pull it out the hatch, or just leave it as extra closed cell buoyancy. ...

Has this been tested in practice, or is it theory? :Take out all the foam and you'll need wellies for stepping back into the boat.

P.S. August 15, 2012
Why need wellies? Because even if the water is spread thinly on the entire cockpit floor while the boat lies on even keel, the moment one steps aboard the boat heels under the weight and the water sloshes ankle deep to where you stand aft in the cockpit. Not nice for Docksiders. C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Sump Pump
« Reply #31 on: 13 Aug 2012, 17:11 »
Why not simply buy from the supplier in Italy I had found you in April 2010, www.osculati.com ? The 40mm bung is on page 299 of their english language catalogue.

This one on sale in the UK, 40mm outer diameter, 25mm bung? http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/info_CQ10-12395.html
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III