Author Topic: Forum Move / Logon Issue  (Read 14695 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Forum Move / Logon Issue
« on: 08 Jun 2012, 00:06 »
As you have found, the Swallow Boats forum has moved to this new site and the forum software has also been upgraded. Everything should work as it did on the Swallow Boats site, albeit hopefully with less spam, no annoying '\\\\'s everywhere and no warnings about Safari support for those that don't use Internet Explorer! However, if you find any problems or have any suggestions then please post them here or send an email to: webmaster [at] swallowyachtsassociation.org.

There is a logon area on the web site's home page as well as a logon link at the top of this forum. You can use either one. However, if you had a forum account before the web site move then when logging on for the first time you may have to use the link above rather than the form on the home page. That is because after the forum upgrade the password encryption will be re-created and that can only be done via the link above. Having done that once you can in future logon wherever you see a logon link or logon form on the site. If you have problems with your logon then please send an email to the webmaster address mentioned above.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Forum Move / Logon Issue
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:04 »
I just had a quick look at the old forum - there were 9 guests online, which I did not think was possible any more, plus myself and one other member, our old friends Oakley Canada. 

If guests are still somehow getting through the registration barrier on the old forum, might it not be a good idea to post a "gone away" sticky there to redirect them?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:33 »
Thanks Graham. That old version of the forum really is very insecure because I have turned off posting for everyone and guests shouldn't even be able to view the forum. I will see if I can lock it down further but will also add a post there about this new forum in case anyone ends up there by mistake.
Jonathan

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2012, 11:35 »
I have added a post to the old forum boards and also successfully (I think) now turned off posting, etc. I couldn't create a new post but if anyone has the inclination then can they take a look and check whether this has worked? Thanks.
Jonathan

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2012, 16:39 »
There were only four guests and me on the old forum this time - no sign of Oakley Canada!

There is now no doubt at all on the old forum as to what has happened to it and the link to the new forum works.
Graham

Julian Swindell

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2012, 21:27 »
Jonathan, a fantatstic piece of work. One little link that needs updating, the link to Vagabond's round Britain blog. The link text is right but not the link itself. Apart from that, working brilliantly. when is Matt launching the new Swallow Boats home site? I saw him at a wet and windy Beale Park on Sunday, where he had the dubious pleasure of a row in my non-prize winning dinghy.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2012, 22:37 »
Julian, Graham,

Thanks for that. I have fixed the Vagabond link but let me know if anything else doesn't look right. I think the next step might be to add an events calendar to the site, unless anyone has any other suggestions? I also want to complete some more of the information on "The Boats" page but I think I've done all the easy bits!

I haven't been involved with the new Swallow Boats site so not sure exactly what is happening there but at the end of May Matt said he hoped it would be live "in the next few weeks".

I managed to pick sunny Saturday as the day to go to Beale and it was good to see Matt and Nick there. Been a couple of years since I was there last and not much has changed but it was a good day out.

Jonathan
Jonathan

david

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2012, 00:01 »
Hi Julian
                   Nice job on the forum. Appreciate all your hard work on this for us. A quick question. What are the different colored squares for under the name of the poster?

(I am using American spelling. Sorry for the mispellings you notice above)

Regards

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2012, 11:34 »
Jonathan,

I wanted to refer someone directly to Guy's thread about selling BR no.3.  However, although I sent the correct reference by e-mail (to page 17), the link sends you straight to the forum general front page.  Is there a switch that allows direct references to work properly?

Keep up the good work.

Graham
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2012, 07:43 »
I wondered whether finding a reference to a page in the old forum via Google allowed you to bypass the logon security page there but this is not the case.  The presence on the old forum of nine guests this morning, looking at topics such as Beale Park and Dyneema splicing, is therefore a mystery.
Graham

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2012, 11:01 »
All,

Sorry, been very busy over the last few days so haven't had time to reply to the questions but will do that now and give an update on other changes.

First, I have made some changes over the past few days:

1. If the forum was accessed via a link from one of the emails the forum sends out, e.g. when a reply is made to your post, or any other forum-specific link (e.g. as needed by Graham) then the forum opened on it's own, that is outside of the overall Association web site. That is now fixed and the forum will always open within the Association site.

2. I have removed the text and SMF logo and space above the forum menu so that the useful stuff in the forum moves further up the page and there is less scrolling to do. I thought this might be a good idea because the forum now sits beneath the main website menu and graphic so we don't want to waste even more space.

3. Clicking links that should take you to a specific part of a web page, e.g. when you click the a New button to see a topic's latest posts, took you to the correct page but the page wasn't scrolled up. Again that was because the forum is embedded within the Association web site. This is also fixed. This was a difficult issue but I think the fix is working 100%. Let me know if you find it isn't....

4. Changed "Home" link on forum menu to be "Forum Home" to distinguish it from the Association menu bar.

5. The links to the latest forum posts on web site's home page now take you to the last post within a topic and not just to the top of the last page.

David - You asked "What are the different colored squares for under the name of the poster?". These indicate the group you belong to. If you are a moderator or an administrator then there are 5 coloured (or colored!) blocks and these are green or red respectively. Hence I have 5 red blocks. For all other members, the group is dictated by the number of posts you have made. The groups and the number of posts required to join that group are as follows and in brackets are the current number of members in each group.

Newbie         0 (262)
Jr. Member      3 (21)
Full Member      8 (43)
Sr. Member      250 (2)
Hero Member      500  (0)

So, Julian's role as a Sr. Member is because he has submitted more than 250 posts and is no reflection on his age  :D. Maybe we should change these to something more interesting and relevant?! Given that I'm currently reading the Swallows and Amazons series with my son, the following sprang to my mind but I'm sure someone else can be more creative!

Ship's boy
Able seaman
First mate
Captain

Graham - If you take the URL from your browser's address bar then that will be for the overall Association forum page. To send someone a URL do either of the following:

1. Click the "SEND THIS TOPIC" button at the top of the topic and enter the recipient's email address, etc.

2. Right click on the dark blue topic name at the top of the topic page and from the pop-up menu select "Copy Shortcut" or "Copy link address" (depending on your browser) and then you can paste the URL in to an email. You can also use this method to send a link to a particular post within a topic by clicking on the link immediately above the post.

Finally, I think the security on the old forum is working and I can't find any ways to bypass the logon screen. It could well be that the forum is recording attempts to access a page, and reporting them as people looking at pages, regardless of whether the page is actually displayed for the visitor or if they end up at the logon screen. I can't promise that's what's happening but it seems plausible.

Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions, problems or comments. At least the bad weather has given me time to make these changes but if the wind drops to a nice F3 then I might be a little less responsive ;).

Jonathan

Julian Swindell

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2012, 21:13 »
Not so much senior as decrepit...
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2012, 08:16 »
The search facility appears to have given up the ghost.
Graham

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2012, 14:40 »
What's the problem you've found with the search? I just tried a search and it worked fine but let me know the problem you've got and I'll take another look.

BTW, be careful that there is the forum search and web site search. One day the latter will include the former, but not yet! The search box on the black menu bar will just search the web site so to search the forum you need to click on the "Search" test on the forum menu.
Jonathan

Clem Freeman

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2012, 15:08 »
Jonathan,

I seem to keep getting the My Profile page whenever I log in. Just started today.

Clem