Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 11042 times)

Clem Freeman

Insurance
« on: 11 Jun 2012, 13:55 »
Anyone got any recommendations for getting their boat insured?

Clem

Julian Swindell

Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2012, 15:16 »
I would recommend Blue Fin. They have been excellent over my lost mainsail. Made an immediate offer and paid up exactly as promised.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2012, 17:49 »
Clem,

I have used http://www.craftinsure.com for the past couple of years. Policy seems fine, cost has been competitive (£187 for the BRe) and they list some Swallow Boats craft on their site for online insurance purchase - including a Bay Cruiser 24 so maybe there's yet another model out there we don't know about!! However, I have never had to test them like Julian has and that's where it matters...

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2012, 18:58 »
I use Noble Marine and have similarly never had to claim against them. Whenever I have had a query, such as whether my boat is covered for loss when trailing to Greece or when racing in Sail Caledonia, the answers have always been prompt and, so far, in the affirmative and at no extra cost.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Clem Freeman

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2012, 16:54 »
Thanks for the replies. Will need to sort something quickly as Seafir is only just over a week away.

Clem

Julian Swindell

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2012, 09:46 »
To add another note in fairness. I used to insure with Haven Knox Johnson and they were also very good. I had an outboard engine stolen off my moored boat. I claimed £250 for it, but they came back and said, "Oh, for an engine of that size and age we would always pay £270"! Which they did. I only changed from them when it came time to renew because I could not fathom my way through their web site to carry out the renewal. I think they had changed their name or something. A lesson there in managing your website .
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Julian Merson

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2020, 08:16 »
Just reviving an old thread.  I've recently been doing the rounds of insurance brokers, trying to obtain the most competitive quote for my BC20.  For some reason, Craftinsure have offered me a significantly better deal than the others.

I was reading the small print, however, since this is always important.  This states that they will not pay any claim arising from my boat '...being used single handedly for a period exceeding 24 hours.' 
I asked them for clarification since the equivalent wording did not appear on any of the others' policies and, moreover, nearly all of my sailing is single handed - I routinely cruise for up to a week at a time. 

They replied to say that I have misinterpreted this rule.  It's all to do with ColRegs whereby they don't accept one person can maintain an adequate lookout during 'continuous navigation' over a period of 24 hours or more.  Evidently, 'being used' does not include being at anchor which is a relief - although I would say being at anchor for an evening/overnight is just as much 'using a boat' - and, point of fact, just as much fun - as sailing during the day...
So, it looks like Craftinsure will cover Daisy III for the next 12 months.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2020, 08:51 »
I stayed with Craftinsure when I moved from the BRe to BC26 and am still with them. They reduced the premiums this year, which is always appreciated.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Paul Beardsell

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2021, 11:05 »
Of course one doesn't know how good insurance is until one needs to claim. But I thought I would add my vote for CraftInsure. Their quote for my new (second-hand) BC23 was way under anything I found elsewhere, less than half the RYA recommended broker, and about 65% of the best quote otherwise, even when the broker was using the SAME reputable underwriter, Zurich in this case. So I very carefully checked the terms, as often one only gets what one pays for, and I phoned for a very friendly chat. Recommended. [I've got 10 days left to cancel for free, so speak up if you know of any impediments to this union.]  :)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2021, 11:22 »
I’ve been with Noble Marine for many years and have always thought that they were good value for money until I checked the quote from Craftinsure, which was nearly 50% less.  It was nice that they have the BR20 as a listed dayboat, so they already know all about it.  As Paul says, it’s always helpful to hear of any claims experience of them or any other insurer.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III