Author Topic: How to clip/fix a lighting board to a transom  (Read 9153 times)

Michael Rogers

How to clip/fix a lighting board to a transom
« on: 28 Aug 2012, 10:28 »
My previous boat being double-ended, lighting board fixture was a bit tricky, solved (rather well, actually) with a bespoke boxy 'bracket' made of ply, held by slotting the vertical s/s rod which held the rudder through the bracket. Bit difficult to describe, but has worked well.

My new boat (Trouper) has the slightly curved Swallowboats transom. I assumed, perhaps naively, that gadgets to slot a lighting board onto gudgeons on a transom were 'out there'. If they are, I can't find them. Do they exist? - I can't imagine why not.

Am I missing something obvious, and/or being a bit thick? Help!

Anthony Huggett

Re: How to clip/fix a lighting board to a transom
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2012, 10:33 »
I wondered the same thing! However, the standard trailer as supplied through SB extends to the back of the boat, and has bungee cord and purpose-made fittings to take the trailerboard. It takes less than a minute to remove - much quicker than trying to unlash it from the boat. But I think you might have to remember to retract the arms and lock them in position before attempting launching or recovery to avoid the possibility of scratching the boat.

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2012, 10:59 »
Thanks, Anthony. I should have explained that I'm not using a SB-type trailer. I'm using a combi (of which more another time!) with lots of rear overhang (of the boat), and so the board has to go on the transom.

Sorry, forgot to sign off last time.

Michael

Terry Cross

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2012, 13:49 »
Hello Micheal
I use another set of gudeon and pintles (as on the rudder) scewed to a"T" shaped wooden structure to support the lighting board.
The board can be attached to each end of the transom by bungees.
I have a spare pair I can send you if you Tel your address 01270522251
or email terrycross&martexmarine.com

Terry Cross    "IONA"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2012, 23:22 »
Hello Terry

That's extremely kind. Since first posting, I've been having a good thunk, as one does; and I think I've thought of a solution which would be sort of tailored to the SB transom. I'll give it a go, but your offer is a good sort of safety net to have there in case I need it!

Cheers             Michael

Guy Rossey

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2012, 22:03 »
In order to show another easy way of doing for the BR  having this metallic pivot for the rudder, here a picture showing how the board ( plastic, 90 cm wide ) is adjusted ( partially, for the picture ) on the rudder.

Catchando Bay (BR 48)