Author Topic: Maintenance matters  (Read 8636 times)

Michael Rogers

Maintenance matters
« on: 14 Sep 2012, 17:41 »
Hallo (again)

Could I raise two rather mundane matters, to get other people's experience/advice?

1) Boat cover maintenance. The cover over my first boat (sadly neglected this past summer, because of the weather and current boat-build: but we've had a few sails, one of them glorious) has kept the water and grot out, but in the process has become grey-green, especially on the more wind-sheltered side, probably with 'lichen' rather than mould. I have been pleasantly surprised, actually, at how well it has done its job. It was fairly cheap, and because the boat is double-ended, it is nowhere near bespoke. It seems to be proofed fabric, fairly lightweight. My questions are - does one 'do maintenance' on a preventive basis, or wait until it starts leaking and then act? And what to do - a reproof respray as it is? Wash (in the washing machine?) and reproof? Dry-clean (some entertainment for Sketchley's) and reproof?

2) Built-in boat buoyancy. The three chambers in my new boat have impressive screw-in hatches. Apart from checking obsessively for leaks, are there any other reasons for opening these as a routine? I have a feeling this may be a silly question, and it reminds me a bit of Hancock's Half Hour. Some may recall that Tony bought a car, but didn't learn to drive. It stood outside number whatever, Railway Cuttings for so long that the Council made up the road around it, so that eventually it stood in four holes in the renewed tarmac. However Tony sent his Aussie sidekick out every weekend to let the tyres down and pump them up again, so that the air in them was always fresh. Ahem.

Michael

Andy Dingle

Re: Maintenance matters
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2012, 10:48 »
Michael ..

Re your post (No 1). I use a product called Renovo for cleaning and reproofing my spray hood and sail covers and anything canvas,they  also do a product for cleaning vinyl (and returning the vinyl window bit in the sprayhood to its former transparent glory). Is available from most chandlers and on line at www.renovomarine.com. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a cover.
Hope this helps.

Andy - BR20 No.12 'Psalter'