Author Topic: On messing about in boats - or not.  (Read 13645 times)

Tony

On messing about in boats - or not.
« on: 24 Sep 2012, 13:01 »

I have a choice in May 2013.
Attend Sail Caledonia (May 25th - 1st June) or the Golfe du Morbihan (6th – 12th May) Both are first class events of their type.  I could attend both, in theory.
 In practice, it’s one or the other.

I’ve registered for the Semaine du Golfe.

Why?
 In France sailing small boats is seen by the population in general as an egalitarian pursuit. It attracts widespread interest, sponsorship, media coverage, etc. It’s massive.   In the UK, if you have even the smallest of boats you are considered to be well-heeled, if not downright rich. It is seen as an elitist pastime, this despite all evidence to the contrary. 

Outcome?
Registration for the Semaine du Golfe?          Free.

Registration for Sail Caledonian? 
Entry fee per boat (Does not include skipper)    £285
Entry fee per participant              £190

OK, OK.
 Once I’ve paid for the cross-channel  ferry,  the petrol and all the cheese and wine that I will be expected to bring back the cost difference will be marginal - but that is absolutely  not the point.
Nor do I mean to imply any criticism of Sail Caledonia’s organisation in failing to defray their costs through sponsorship. I doubt that it is possible in the UK because of the attitudes touched on above.
My question is, isn’t it about time we all did something about it?
Most people under the age of 40 have never read  “Swallows and Amazons” or “Wind in the Willows” and I don’t suppose they would enjoy them much if they did,  so we have a generation or two in this country who equate boating with either high tech dingy racing around the buoys (Olympics?) or expensive gin palaces cluttering up the moorings in all our coastal beauty spots, both of which are by their nature elitist occupations and nothing at all like  “....simply messing about in boats”. 
Top marks, then, to all the Yacht clubs who organise free taster sessions for school kids,  the DCA and OGA trailer section for, at least, getting out there and to people like Pete Greenfield  (See his editorial , “The Gribble” in issues No. 88 and 95 of “Watercraft” magazine.) who are attempting to widen the appeal of small boats to more than male, grey-bearded empty nesters (like myself)  and wake up the boat show organisers, and others, to the fact that there is a potential market out there for a different kind of boat.  The sort of boats that get used,  weekends and evenings, high days and holidays by old and young alike.  Whether craftsman built in wood or stamped out in Day-Glo plastic matters little to the amount of fun and, therefore, use such boats will get.  The main thing is to get folk out on the water – and we won’t do that if we have to charge them five hundred quid before they even get their feet wet.

Peter Cockerton

Re: On messing about in boats - or not.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2012, 22:13 »
Tony

I very much enjoyed your posting and you do raise interesting issues regarding the non sailors views on boat owners. From my experience the views do split into two main categories the first you speak of being money orientated the other is generally "not for me" due i'm sure to to the perception of capsizing and getting cold and wet.

Swallow boats are fairly unique with the water ballasting and i for one would not be sailing today if capsizing was an expected event on the Bayraider.

So perhaps in answer to your question about raising awareness for " The sort of boats that get used,  weekends and evenings, high days and holidays by old and young alike" as you put it we could do our bit by making our boats available for such potential interested parties.

The forum could be used to detail the possibilities and willing participating members, open days could be arranged for "trial our sport" days.

Of course the health and safety and insurance issues would probably put a complete downer on all of this and i'm not sure how to progress the issues either.

Any thoughts anyone.
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Colin Morley

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2012, 13:19 »
Well done.

I would be happy to take anyone sailing if they are interested in having an introduction. At the moment the BR is in Southampton but I commonly sail on the East Coast estuaries.
Colin
BR James Caird

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2012, 20:38 »
What would seem to have happened in Sweden is this:Traditionally,for several generations,young people would grow up sailing,and eventually borrowing,in large gangs,their parents´s wooden folkboats etc.With the evolution of ever larger polystyrene boats,nobody would let their 17-year-olds out in their 1500 ksek-yachts,and thus the tradition was brokenCertainly,I have noticed the archipelago growing emptier,in part,thank God,because of Allah striking the Cigarette-boat and Gin Palace types.

An update on my CBL (events?Bloody xxx- mast 1 production fault.Right thought I,let´s get a lug rig anyway.Mast 2-on unpacking,run over by truck.Mast 3 OK,arrives too late for season.)I will now during the xxx winter have this boat rebuilt entirely to my own xxx ideas,which tend to build over time!Any suggestions,like,from Tony?

To make up for this,I did have a fine couple of weeks with my old (younger son´s) Frances 26.

In fact a package gourmet cruise this weekend.

We happy few!/Johan

CBL "Lill-Freja"

Andy Dingle

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2012, 18:40 »
The thread title minded me to post this, am surprised no one has beaten me to it as it seems to me to be very relevant to Swallow Boat owners.
I've included the full quotation which isn't often seen these days...

'Nice? It's the ONLY thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing about.., in boats, messing...'

`Look ahead, Rat!' cried the Mole suddenly.

It was too late. The boat struck the bank full tilt. The dreamer, the joyous oarsman, lay on his back at the bottom of the boat, his heels in the air.

`..about in boats ..or WITH boats,' the Rat went on composedly, picking himself up with a pleasant laugh. `In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not.'

(Kenneth Grahame. Wind in the Willows)

A truly great book that seems to me to be as relevant now as it was 50 years ago when I first read it, probably more so in fact! One of those books that, second time around you realise that it was in fact written for mature men, not children at all!
Aren't we all that dreamer, that joyous oarsman, laying on your back in the bottom of the boat kicking your heels in the air after committing some faux pas?! Go on admit it!

(Available free for Kindle from Amazon by the way).

Andy - BR20 'Psalter'

Tony

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:03 »
Hi, Johan.

Good to hear from you – but what a catalogue of disasters! Suggest the “Not all Swallow Boats are BayRaiders “ thread for Lugger chat. I have a few ideas on that rig to pass on. Potentially, your CBL should be superior to “Four Sisters” in performance – It’ll be good to compare notes.

Re:  “ ....nobody would let their 17-year-olds out in their 1500 ksek-yachts...”
Is there a danger that the “risk averse” culture  is being taken to extremes , to the extent that young parents who do not wrap their children in cotton wool are considered to be irresponsible? I live  opposite a Junior school ....and you wouldn’t believe the traffic it generates.
 A friend, who lives just around the corner, drives her children to and from school in a 4X4. She asked the other day if she could park on my drive as the road was so crowded. No problem, but I wondered why she didn’t let them walk to school, to which she replied;
“Oh! The road is so busy....I’d never forgive myself if something happened to them!”
I understand how she feels but it seems a little over the top....or is it just that in my generation the provision of such care was not possible and so does not feel “normal”?

Hi, Peter and Colin.
Normal boat insurance – which Sailing club members and anyone participating in Raids will have as a matter of course – should cover you for sailing with friends and family. Most clubs already run open days and taster sessions (I’m involved with one at my club next week) and will have the appropriate cover for you, your boat and your “victim”.  The rules about Police checks for people working with children have relaxed recently but the club should know all about that.

Colin.  I’d check with your insurers before offering “trips around the bay” to total strangers – and some  Forum readers ARE pretty strange!

The odd open day, however, isn’t going to change the perception of young people in the UK about whether mucking about in boats is something THEY could consider. It takes good PR – which requires media exposure, money and/or luck. 
Look what colour TV did for snooker and even Darts, FGS !
Why snooker and not sailing?
Because it’s cheap TV !
 How many cameras do you need to cover a dart board? This will not happen to sailing where to see anything “interesting” you need chase boats and helicopters and they only get those out for the J-Class events at St Topez!  Or a nice shipwreck, perhaps.
Ah! I was forgetting the Semaine du Golfe! The  only non-racing event that I’m aware of that gets  mainstream TV coverage. That’s in France, of course.  Despite hundreds of British boats being involved, don’t expect to see it covered by the BBC who, famously (in the yachting press but totally unrecognised elsewhere) can’t tell their anchor from their EPIRB.     

Hi, Andy.

So, “Wind in the Willows”   was (quote) “...in fact written for mature men, not children at all!”...?
I’m sorry but I am a little confused.  I didn’t know there was supposed to be a difference.

Andy Dingle

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2012, 10:50 »
Ha ha .. Indeed Tony! In fact the distaff side of my household introduces herself to people as my 'Carer' ....

david

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:17 »
More "Wind in the Willows".
As Ratty said to Mole in Kenneth Graham's Wind in The Willows "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing about in boats; messing about in boats or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."
 8)
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Tony

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2012, 13:29 »

I have a choice in May 2013.
Attend Sail Caledonia (May 25th - 1st June) or the Golfe du Morbihan (6th – 12th May) Both are first class events of their type.  I could attend both, in theory.
 In practice, it’s one or the other.

I’ve registered for the Semaine du Golfe.

Why?

Registration for the Semaine du Golfe?          Free.

Registration for Sail Caledonian? 
Entry fee per boat (Does not include skipper)    £285
Entry fee per participant              £190

Where did all this "Ratty and Moley" stuff come from?
Kenneth Grahame in "Wind in the Willows" hardly mentions boats. It's mostly about the moral ascendancy of the middle classes and how, if you are basically a “good sort” and from the right family, you can be forgiven certain little peccadilloes. For example we have car theft, lies, violent and antisocial behaviour, gaol breaking etc.  (What larks! Jolly good fun, eh?)   All the stuff that the ruling classes have been expecting us to swallow since 1066.  Only don’t try it if you are a weasel from the Council estate.  Oooh, No! My Goodness Me!

To get back to my point:-

If  the Semaine du Golfe is sponsored by the local community to encourage visitors to the area why does the same argument  not apply in the UK?
I’ll give you my opinion.
It’s good old fashioned prejudice.

Just as women have been (and still are in some quarters eg Politics) held back by the ingrained assumption that you have to be a man to do certain jobs, the population of this country assume that you have to be well off  (and probably from one of the more privileged socio-economic groups) to sail a boat. Hence, no one thinks us hard done by when we get hammered by extortionate harbour dues, chandlery prices, etc. (Put the word “boat” in front of the most mundane item and you can double the asking price.) Few people would even consider that sailing events such as raids, cruises in company, DCA or OGA meetings COULD be sponsored. (Except the Welsh Tourist Board, bless ‘em.)

Why complain? Making the sport expensive keeps the riff-raff off the water, innit. Like three day eventing, Ya?
It also keeps the kids away.
“Let’s get Mum to lend us her Wayfarer and go to Sail Caledonia for a weeks sailing?”
“How much?”
“Not a lot. Just a five hundred quid registration fee, that’s all.”

No wonder they prefer “Grand Theft Auto”.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2012, 21:36 »
Tony,

I have done a comparison of four different raids that charge entry fees - Sail Caledonia, English, Irish and Venice.  Including camping fees, meals, safety boats, entry etc, and assuming two crew per boat, they are all in the region of £60 per person per night. Not a large amount in the circumstances.

The Semaine du Golfe is not comparable, as in addition to being subsidised by various arms of local government, it is a vast festival (1000+ boats) and appears to attract expensive corporate hospitality in the same way that various large sporting events do in the UK. And the cost of getting there for a couple of Brits with their boat?  The return fares alone are just under £300 with Eurotunnel and £500 direct to Roscoff with Brittany Ferries.

The small not-for-profit raids (50 boats or fewer) may not get much publicity, sponsorship or subsidy but they do rely heavily on cheerful and willing volunteers who give up a week's holiday to help out. They do a wonderful job of making each raid a safe and memorable event for participants.  They would be surprised to be described as nurturing elitism and probably even more surprised to be told that 'Wind in the Willows' is an example of the class struggle.

Graham
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:35 »
I came across this report on watersports participation in the UK http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/pdf/WatersportsandLeisureOmnibus2011.pdf

In summary, watersports are mostly male-dominated activities that have been in constant decline for the 10 years that the survey has been undertaken.  They have higher participation among the wealthier socio economic groups in full time employment because they are expensive.

Nevertheless, there are activities that are more egalitarian, including canoeing, windsurfing and the more extreme sport of kite surfing, which is growing like Topsy.  Racing in small sailboats showed a statistically significant increase in participation in 2011. It really doesn't matter how they start on the water, some will find their way to our sort of sailing eventually, once their shoulders, knees or whatever can't take the strain any more.

Unfortunately, the use of "personal watercraft" (Jet Ski's etc) seems to be on the rise again.  I'm thinking of having my spinnaker pole tube converted to fire surface to surface missiles....
Graham

Andy Dingle

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2012, 16:18 »

To be read in a highly exaggerated faux Yorkshire accent whilst drinking a nice glass of Chateau de Chasselas.

“Wayfarer! You were lucky! Our Ma couldn't afford Wayfarer. All we 'ad were home made Mirror dinghy, made out of old shoe box wi' mains'l made from page from Daily Telegraph”

“Telegraph? Thou didn't know tha was born! We couldn't afford broadsheet paper, all we had were page from Daily Mail  that us chips come wrapped in. Aye, 'an spinnaker was made out of our Dad's string vest”

“String vest! Luxury! Our Dad couldn't afford string vest, we'd make spinnaker out of damp brown paper bag we found in't gutter”

“Aye Josiah. We couldn't even afford home made Mirror Dinghy, not even sails for it. Our Ma would have to go to Benefits Office to complain, and they would buy us brand new jet ski. Aye, it were tough when we were kids”

“Aye Obediah, and you try telling the youngsters that these days, they'll never believe you!”

With apologies to the Monty Python team - well, apologies to all really, but I just couldn't resist it!

(Translation and explanatory notes available for our American and Australian friends!)

Andy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2012, 16:53 »
If we're going Monty Python, imagine this as the Semaine du Golfe organisers being importuned by all those underfunded raids to the NW:

[Arthur tries to enter a castle guarded by French soldiers]

ARTHUR: If you will not show us the Grail, we shall take your castle by force!
FRENCH GUARD: You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt!Thppt!
GALAHAD: What a strange person.
ARTHUR: Now look here, my good man--
FRENCH GUARD: I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
GALAHAD: Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
FRENCH GUARD: No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time-a!
FRENCH  GUARD #1: I didn't know we were French?
FRENCH GUARD #2: Of course, we else do you think we are talking in this ridiculous accent?
Graham

Tony

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2012, 17:06 »
Hi, Graham W

Re :- Reply #10

Thanks for that.  I think you've actually made my point quite ...er...economically.

To put it in perspective £60 (your estimated all-in charge per night) is around the cost of a night at a Holiday Inn. For that you get breakfast - but no safety boat, I’m afraid.

The Semaine du Golfe is NOT comparable in any way with “our” raids. No argument there.

e.g. The first Irish raid, seven days on the beautiful River Shannon, only attracted a dozen or so boats.
So, using your figures, if I wanted to take one of my children on such an event the basic entry fee would cost me £840.00  (which, incidentally, is twice what I would pay for a week for two people in a package tour apartment on Tenerife right now – not that I’d want to.)
This means that our “cheerful and willing” volunteers have put the whole thing together on an income of around ten grand - assuming no sponsorship. Quite an achievement, I should think.

It also means that many UK households would baulk at the expense.
Add another c. £550.00 for the Holyhead/Dublin ferry, £120.00 for a couple of tanks full of petrol, £140.00 for food at £10 pp pd  and you are exceeding  £1,600.00 – and you haven’t bought a single pint of Guinness yet!
Getting a little more sponsorship to remove the entry fee halves this figure...and might well increase the numbers of participants.

In no way do I criticize the organisers of these events. (They are doing something I am not prepared to do and doing it for the benefit of all.) 
Nor do I suggest that all Raids should be huge, corporate sponsored events.
Nor yet do I accuse anyone floundering in the mud of Milford Haven of being elitist. 

What gets me all hot under the collar is the mindset that assumes that Raids and festivals should be organised around the financial capabilities of the major participants, i.e. gentlemen of mature years and matured personal pension plans. It is not, as far as I can see, an assumption made anywhere else in Europe, where sailing is a sport or pastime like any other. (With the exception, perhaps, of Tennis, which appears to be the domain of the well to do where ever you go!)

As for “Wind in the Willows” being an example of the class struggle.....words fail me - almost. (I wish I’d never used the expression “...messing about in boats..”)
 As Kenneth Grahame read his cosy stories to comfort his ailing son he may have been aware of the first stirrings of revolution in the Russian Empire but I doubt he equated the plight of Russian peasants, or signs of social unrest elsewhere, with anything closer to home.  His stories do, however, reflect the social mores of the time - as you would expect from a person of note at the Bank of England in an era when the British Empire was at the height of its powers. Social roles and codes of behaviour were well defined in those days.
Two quotes:-
On  others in the Wild Wood:-
'Weasels  and stoats  and foxes  and so on. They're all right in a way — I'm very good friends with them — pass the time of day when we meet, and all that.....  but they break out sometimes, there's no denying it, and then — well, you can't really trust them, and that's the fact.'
On Mr. Toad’s behaviour:-
“Independence is all very well, but we animals never allow our friends to make fools of themselves beyond a certain limit; and that limit you've reached.”
Enough of the literary analysis! 

To return to the point.
The outlay involved in participation in any sport obviously does not stop with the purchase of the necessary equipment.  However, boats can be a particularly expensive prerequisite and so reducing the additional costs as far as possible is a desirable aim......if you wish to widen the appeal of raids and festivals in this country, that is. 
Anyone disagree with that?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2012, 23:41 »
Tony,

The two keys to the continued success of raids are experienced voluntary staffing; and financial stability in difficult times. Those that rely on commercial sponsorship can find it suddenly taken away. Ditto government subsidies. Some raids have come and gone.

I can only speak for Sail Caledonia, which has put on a magnificent event, year after year, without the benefit of major sponsorship or subsidy. They do this by being safe, professional and charging the going rate. Oh, and by having the very unfair advantage of holding the event in the stunning Great Glen of Scotland. This means that they get a lot of repeat business.

I don't recognise your stereotypical old fart raid competitor - not even looking in the mirror. Entrants to Sail Caledonia come from all age ranges and walks of life but do tend to be more than averagely able bodied. They need to be - both the sailing and the rowing can be challenging, within safe parameters.

The breakeven number of boats for Sail Caledonia is in the region of 15. With seven months to go to next May, we are already well on the way to exceeding that number. However, there is a maximum number beyond which safety would be compromised, the canal lock system would be unable to cope and some of the campsites would be overcrowded. So even if we reach that maximum, we will not make any sort of impact on the numbers taking up sailing in the UK.

Have fun in Morbihan. Would you like to borrow my 'Victory at Trafalgar' pennant?

Graham
Graham