Author Topic: On messing about in boats - or not.  (Read 13646 times)

Tony

Re: On messing about in boats - or not.
« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:09 »
Hi, Graham W.

RE:- Reply #15
You are missing the point, but, to quote David Byrne ("Psycho Killer" 1974) "Say something once, why say it again?"

However, to comment on your reply, by paragraphs:-

Para 1
Agreed.  No argument.

Para 2
I’m sure you are right.  Can’t comment. Never been there. (May be next time if funds allow.)

Para 3
“... stereotypical old fart raid competitor...”  Your words, not mine, old chap!  I think I was talking about financial, not physical, ability.

Para 4
You have to match the numbers to the proposed venue, no question.
I don’t think 1,000 boats in the Caledonian Canal at any one time would be a good idea.....but you could run two or three different raids per year – if there was the market for it, which there isn’t.
 Not sure I understand the last sentence ( Quote : “So even if we reach that maximum, we will not make any sort of impact on the numbers taking up sailing in the UK.”)
 Surely if Sail Caledonia ever reached those numbers something would have already made an impact, don’t you think?

Para 5
Quote: “ Have fun in Morbihan. Would you like to borrow my 'Victory at Trafalgar' pennant?”

In a word - No.

I could have a “Victory at Culloden” pennant run up for you, though, if you like?
Something tasteful like a few severed limbs on a field of peat, perhaps?

The French were there, at Culloden, too.  Fighting on the side of the Jacobites against the English (and our Scots, Irish, Austrian and German allies) if it makes you Gallophobes feel any better.
Their determined rearguard action allowed the remains of the Highland clans and the “Bonny” Prince to escape, I believe.