Author Topic: Boat Name Register?  (Read 11745 times)

Peter Taylor

Boat Name Register?
« on: 26 Oct 2012, 10:30 »
Hello everyone, I've just ordered a BayCruiser 20; apparently Swallow Boats is doing well  :) so I'm going have to wait quite some time  :( . I plan to call her "SeaSwallow" (common name for Arctic Tern) since I already have a Seafly dinghy and a Lightning dinghy called "SeaBee" (Cb).  I wanted to check if that name was in use - more generally, is there a Swallow Boats Association name register?
Cheers, Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Julian Swindell

Re: Boat Name Register?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2012, 22:12 »
Congratulations on an excellent choice of boat. But then, I am a bit biased. Not aware of Seswallow having been used, but it would be interesting to have a list of names. How long are you going to have to wait for delivery?
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Peter Taylor

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2012, 08:16 »
The wait time depends on Swallow Boats success in appointing more staff - they are actively recruiting at the moment and Matt Newland didn't want to make any promises at this stage.  Worst case scenario is end of next summer but hopefully it will be a bit earlier than that - still I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

I should thank you Julian for your Daisy Grace blog which helped a lot in my choosing the BC20 - I'm sure I'll be referring to it while deciding on how to fit out my boat.
Peter Taylor

Reg Barker

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2012, 09:18 »
I have had to wait four months for my BRe, it feels like ages.
BRe #11 Alice Amy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2012, 12:50 »
Somewhat off topic, but it is an excellent reflection on Swallow Boats that they have such a full order book in the current business climate.  Consider the following, taken from recent British Marine Federation surveys:

* Only 450 sailing boats in the range 2.5m to 7.5m were produced in the UK in 2011.  So the share of the upper end of that range taken by BayRaiders and Baycruisers must be significant and growing.

* A survey of the UK industry in May 2012 had 58% of respondents reporting static or falling sales while 71% reported static or falling profits.

* Only 9% of respondents reported a lack of experienced/skilled staff as a barrier to growth, although that number is rising, possibly as skilled workers have moved away to other industries.  The largest barriers to growth were reported as the financial climate and general economy (43%) and lack of orders/sales (15%). 

* Absolutely no-one mentioned a lack of design or boat performance as a barrier to growth, which suggests to me that in general (and in contrast to Swallow Boats), innovation is not very high on the industry's agenda! 
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Taylor

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2012, 14:18 »
Matt Newland commented to me that he thought Swallow Boats were benefitting from the current financial situation... It seems that I'm not the only one who has got fed up with having investments sitting around doing very little, and decided to spend the money on something really enjoyable like buying a beautiful little cruising boat. Just a pity those others thought of it before I did!
Peter Taylor

Rock Doctor

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2012, 03:49 »
Hello from Australia,
re the boat name register, that sounds like a good idea. I named my GRP BR20 "Gryphon" after my favourite watering hole in Wales, a pub near Brecon (spelling is a the archaic version though).

Anyway my boat has arrived in Western Australia and is currently on the docks at Fremantle awaiting Customs and quarantine clearance, probably later this week. I have sympathy with others who have mentioned the build/delivery time, I ordered mine in March 2012 and it is just about here. Have been following the many discussions on the forum which initially helped me make my decision to go Bayraider 20.

Fortunately there is another BR20 here in Perth, the owner of which was kind enough to give me a run down on his vessel prior to me making a final committment.

Looks like we have our first "raid" coming up early December - looking forward to that.

:)
Rock Doctor
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2012, 23:11 »
I have added a tentative boat register page to the web site, see the link on the Library page or use this link: http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=364

Does this table capture the right information or have I missed anything?
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Rob Waller

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2012, 23:51 »
I see you have a column for hull number. Where would one find that?

david

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2012, 06:33 »
Hi Johnathan
                          Thank you for all your good work on this site. I like the format and would like to add my boat. How do you add? I can only edit at the moment.

Regards

David
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2012, 11:44 »
I see you have a column for hull number. Where would one find that?

In the starboard side of the outboard well, there should be a long metal strip with the boat identification number.  For a BR20, it will read GB SBWBR***J010.  The asterisks give the hull number.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2012, 10:30 »
I acknowledge that it is currently not obvious how to add a boat to the register so I am going to make that easier this weekend. Will report back here when done!
Jonathan

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2012, 11:39 »
I have re-written the boat register page and it is now much more simple to enter your boat details. It is now also much easier to later edit your boat details. Everything seems to work and the only thing I haven't done is to rigorously validate data, so, for example, it is possible to have an epoxy ply BC26 from 1995. I might return to add more validation later but aside from that everything works. So please all take a look and get registering! Post any questions or issues here and I will respond.
Jonathan

Andy Dingle

« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2012, 12:12 »
Well there had to be one to break the system!

Jonathon. I've attempted to add my boat details to the register, made a mistake, tried to edit it and ended up with two entries, both with errors! I can't see how I can correct the mistakes..
ie delete the entries.

Help please!

- I put it down to flying all night ,, am trying to do this from a hotel room in Hong Kong!

Sorry!

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2012, 13:37 »
Andy,

Two entries were created because each one had a unique combination of boat model, hull number and builder, otherwise the register would have rejected your second attempt as a duplicate. There isn't a delete option (yet) because I thought it wouldn't be needed that often but I can remove one entry from the database. I'll do that shortly.

For your remaining entry you should be able to edit it yourself. To the left of your boat's name in the register there should be a radio button. See attached screenshot extract that highlights this. Click this and you can then edit the register entry. That is, the fields at the bottom of the page are populated with the boat's current register entry and you can make any updates and then click the "Update Boat" button. (Note that the name of that button changes depending on whether you are about to add a new record or update an existing record).

Let me know if you have any problems editing the record.
Jonathan